A History of Uniontown: The County Seat of Fayette County, Pennsylvania
Author: Hadden, James, 1845-1923, Uniontown, PA
JAMES HADDEN – author of Washington's & Braddock's Expeditions
Akron, Ohio: Printed by the New Werner Co., 1913
PEOPLE BURIED – THE PRESBYTERIAN GRAVEYARD (pg. 654)
b. stands for born; d. stands for died
I put last name first, then first name.
HISTORIC PRESBYTERIAN PUBLIC CEMETERY
ALSO KNOWN AS OAK HILL CEMETERY
BEESON, ELIZABETH SKILES, b. March 16, 1792; d. June 26, 1886 (married (1) JESSE BEESON (2) REV. JAMES GUTHRIE (3) JOHNSON VANKIRK) (pgs. 192, 673)
BEESON, HENRY, son of HENRY BEESON – the founder of Uniontown & father of two children: JESSE BEESON & MRS. GEORGE W. RUTTER, b. March 29, 1776; d. Jan. 20, 1832, aged 55 years, 9 months and 21 days (pg. 673) MOVED TO OAK GROVE CEMETERY, UNIONTOWN, PA
BEESON, JACOB, son of HENRY BEESON, the founder of Uniontown & father of ISAAC BEESON & GEN. HENRY W. BEESON, d. Feb. 13, 1820, in the 52nd year of his age (pg. 669)
BEESON, JANE, wife of JOHN CLARK, d. July 24, 1855, in the 84th year of her age (pg. 672)
BEESON, JESSE, oldest child of HENRY BEESON – the founder of Uniontown, d. March 22, 1826, aged 58 years and 3 months (pg. 673)
BEESON, LYDIA, wife of JACOB BEESON, d. Feb. 27, 1801, in the 28th year of her age (pg. 669)
BEESON, LYDIA, daughter of JACOB & ELIZABETH BEESON, d. June 19, 1834, aged 56 years, 4 months and 2 days (pg. 663)
BEESON, MARTHA, b. Nov. 4, 1810; d. July 14, 1829 (pg. 672)
BEESON, MARY C., b. Sept. 9, 1816; d. Aug. 29, 1828 (pg. 672)
BEESON, RACHEL, daughter of JACOB BEESON & wife of ROBERT SKILES, b. March 3, 1785; d. April 29, 1865 (pg. 671)
BEESON, ROBERT CRAWFORD, d. Dec. 3, 1835, aged 1 year (pg. 668)
MILLER, REBECCA, daughter of JACOB & ELIZABETH BEESON, b. Oct. 15, 1776; d. Feb. 12, 1825, in the 49th year of her age.MRS. MILLER was the wife of JOHN MILLER who carried on the tanning business in this town for many years, and in connection with others had extensive contracts in the construction of the National road.She was the mother of JACOB B. MILLER, ESQ., the founder of the Pennsylvania Democrat, the predecessor of the News Standard.
ELIZABETH B. SHRIVER, died during the absence of her husband, the 8th of January, 1825, in the 25th year of her age.She was a daughter of JOHN & REBECCA MILLER and the first wife of JAMES SHRIVER, who was a surveyor in the construction of the National Road and a nephew of DAVID SHRIVER, the superintendent of the construction of that great highway.
HENRY BEESON, JR., built a two-story frame house west of the Henry Kerns wagon maker's shop, as a residence for ELIZABETH BEESON, the widow of his brother, JESSE BEESON, who died in 1826.In this she lived for several years, together with her niece, SIDNEY GARDNER.MRS. BEESON married as her second husband the REVEREND JAMES GUTHRIE, the old and well-remembered Presbyterian minister of Laurel Hill church, who died in 1850.In 1860, she married JOHNSON VANKIRK, with whom she lived for ten years, when he died.She died June 26, 1886, in the 95th year of her age.
JESSE BEESON was the oldest child of HENRY BEESON, the founder of the town, and was born at Martinsburg, VA, December 5, 1767, and was carried over the mountains when a small babe, on horseback, in the spring of 1768, at which time his parents settled west of the mountains.He was a bright and ambitious young man, and a most excellent penman, as the records in the office of the county commissioners, where he was employed as clerk for that board from November 23, 1802, to April 25, 1808, will show.He was editor and proprietor of the Genius of Liberty as early as 1809, until 1818; he filling the office of coroner of the county in the meantime from 1812 to 1817, and treasurer of the county from 1814 to 1818.MR. BEESON'S first wife was a MISS CAMPBELL, and his second wife was MISS ELIZABETH SKILES, a sister to ROBERT and ISAAC SKILES, both prominent merchants of the town in their day.MR. BEESON had two children by the second wife.His widow subsequently married REV. JAMES GUTHRIE, the well remembered Presbyterian minister, who was pastor of the Laurel Hill church of that denomination from 1804 until his death, Aug. 4, 1850.After the death of REV. GUTHRIE, his widow married for her third husband, JONATHAN VANKIRK, whom she survived.She died in Uniontown June 26, 1886, aged 94 years, 3 months and 10 days.
ELIZABETH SKILES, wife of JESSE BEESON, born March 16, 1792, died June 26, 1886.After the death of MR. BEESON, AUNT BETSY married REV. JAMES GUTHRIE, pastor of the Laurel Hill Presbyterian church, who died in 1850.She next married JOHNSON VANKIRK in 1860, with whom she lived ten years when she was again left a widow.AUNT BETSY GUTHRIE was a store house of information as to the history of the early settlers in this part of the country.
JESSE BEESON died March 22, 1826, aged 58 years and 3 months.MR. BEESON was the oldest child of HENRY BEESON, the founder of Uniontown.He was a babe when his parents settled west of the mountains in 1768.He became editor and proprietor of the Genius of Liberty about 1809 and conducted it for eight years.The paper was issued from a frame building which stood on the lot now occupied by the John S. Harah property.He was a most excellent penman and was employed for a while as clerk for the commissioners.He owned 99 acres of land at the eastern part of town and lived where Daniel J. Johnson erected a fine residence.He was a most excellent man.
JANE SKILES, wife of HENRY BEESON, died Aug. 27, 1866, aged 85 years, 8 months and 2 days.MRS. BEESON was a sister to ROBERT and ISAAC SKILES, and to ELIZABETH, the wife of JESSE BEESON, the two sisters marrying brothers.After the death of her husband she married MR. ROBERTS BARTON, the well known miller.
HENRY BEESON, born March 29, 1776, died January 20, 1832, aged 55 years, 9 months and 21 days.MR. BEESON was a son of HENRY BEESON, the founder of the town, and was a miller by trade.He owned and operated the old BEESON flouring mill at the west end of town for many years.He owned and occupied the old HENRY BEESON mansion on South Beeson avenue at the time of his death.He had two children, the late JESSE BEESON, who succeeded him at the mill, and the late MRS. GEORGE W. RUTTER.
HENRY BEESON RUTTER, born July 14, 1828, died December 25, 1842.He was a son of GEORGE W. and MARY RUTTER.
On the dividing line between lots Nos. 45 and 46, stood a brick building in which Richard Barry kept a dry good, clothing and notion store as early as 1815.Mr. Barry had formerly been a merchant in Baltimore, and came to Uniontown with (pg. 117) his family and continued in business until 1827, when he retired, and his son, Robert L. Barry and his step-son, GEORGE W. RUTTER, continued the business; later MR. RUTTER started first in business for himself on the old stock of Richard Barry.Mr. Barry died at the home of JOHN RUTTER, a step-son, Sept. 8, 1836, in his 71st year, having been born November 19, 1765.Mr. Barry was familiarly known as “Dad” Barry and was always very kind and pleasant to all.GEORGE RUTTER continued in business in this room for some time after the death of Mr. Barry, and he was succeeded by Jonathan Springer who lived and kept a drug store in this building for several years.
HENRY BEESON, miller, son of HENRY BEESON, the founder, purchased this lot and by will gave it to his daughter, MARY, the wife of GEORGE W. RUTTER, the well known veteran grocery man of the town.In this property MR. and MRS. RUTTER made their home the greater part of their married life.MRS. RUTTER dying here June 1, 1893, and MR. RUTTER January 9, 1897, the property descending to their children.
Union street extension was laid off through a piece of land that had been given by HENRY BEESON, JR., to his daughter, MARY, the wife of GEORGE W. RUTTER.In the early history of the town this was a beautiful grove and was a favorite place for holding 4th of July celebrations.
JACOB BEESON died February 13, 1820, in the 52nd year of his age.He was the son of HENRY BEESON, the founder of Uniontown, and was the founder of the original BEESON store, which was the leading store in the town for more than a century.He was the father of the late ISAAC BEESON and GEN. HENRY W. BEESON.
LYDIA BEESON, wife of JACOB BEESON, died February 27, 1801, in the 28th year of her age.
Some names and dates were found in book. Some names were found on FIND A GRAVE.
Find a grave has more information as well as pictures – sometimes of people and sometimes of tombstones.I just gave a listing of what they had to help you, as I was researching the book I mentioned above.
PEOPLE BURIED AT HISTORIC PRESBYTERIAN PUBLIC CEMETERY, UNIONTOWN, PA
BEESON, ELIZABETH SKILES, b. March 16, 1792; d. June 26, 1886
BEESON, JACOB, b. April 3, 1769; d. Feb. 13, 1820
BEESON, JESSE, b. Dec. 5, 1767; d. March 22, 1826
BEESON, LYDIA WHITE, b. 1772; d. Feb. 27, 1801
BEESON, LYDIA, b. Feb. 17, 1768; d. June 19, 1824
BEESON, MARTHA, b. Nov. 4, 1810; d. July 14, 1829
BEESON, MARY C., b. Sept. 9, 1816; d. Aug. 29, 1828
BEESON, ROBERT CRAWFORD, b. 1834; d. Dec. 3, 1835, aged 1 year
PEOPLE BURIED AT OAK GROVE CEMETERY, UNIONTOWN, PA
BEESON, ALBERT G., JR., 1897-1920
BEESON, ALBERT G., 1844-1914
BEESON, AMANDA L. BAILY, b. Feb. 11, 1838; d. Aug. 5, 1932
BEESON, ANN ROBERS, b. June 28, 1796; d. July 11, 1818
BEESON, ANNA, d. Jan. 18, 1865
BEESON, ANNIE B., b. Oct. 18, 1878; d. Jan. 11, 1879
BEESON, ANNIE MARY, b. Feb. 17, 1876; d. July 27, 1876
BEESON, CHARLES H., b. Aug. 5, 1822; d. Aug. 6, 1867
BEESON, CHARLES R., b. Dec. 9, 1949; d. July 3, 2013
BEESON, CHARLES W., b. 1915; d. 1996
BEESON, DAVID ZINN, b. 1915; 1994
BEESON, EDMOND, b. Feb. 6, 1821; d. Aug. 1, 1861
BEESON, ELIZABETH HEDGES, b. Nov. 17, 1743; d. Sept. 7, 1825
BEESON, EMMA BADEN, b. 1913; d. 2002
BEESON, HARRIE, b. June 20, 1880; d. Sept. 30, 1880
BEESON, HARRY, b. 1867; d. 1951
*BEESON, HENRY, b. March 29, 1776; d. Jan. 20, 1832
BEESON, HENRY E., b. March 22, 1918; d. Jan. 12, 2010
BEESON, HENRY HEDGES, SR., b. March 9, 1788; d. July 8, 1869
BEESON, HENRY HEDGES, JR., b. May 15, 1833; d. June 24, 1864
BEESON, HENRY W., b. Sept. 11, 1843; d. Sept. 2, 1872
BEESON, HENRY WHITE, b. Sept. 14, 1791; d. Oct. 28, 1863
BEESON, IDA E., b. April 1857; d. July 6, 1883
BEESON, ISAAC, b. Sept. 29, 1795; d. April 9, 1866
BEESON, ISAAC WALLACE, JR., b. April 15, 1858; d. Dec. 27, 1879
BEESON, JACOB, SR., b. June 1, 1741; d. Dec. 16, 1818
BEESON, JACOB C., Jan. 29, 1814; d. July 5, 1898
BEESON, JACOB MILLER, b. April 2, 1842; d. Nov. 28, 1925
BEESON, JACOB S., b. 1913; d. 1983
BEESON, JACOB S., b. May 4, 1850; d. July 31, 1888
BEESON, JACOB SKILES, JR., b. 1939; d. 1941
BEESON, JANE HELLEN, b. 1811; d. 1850
BEESON, JENNIE BARTON, b. Jan. 15, 1850; d. Jan. 25, 1880
BEESON, JENNIE BAILY, b. Feb. 6, 1867; d. April 19, 1913
BEESON, JESSE, b. 1806; d. 1890
BEESON, JESSE, b. July 8, 1768; d. June 4, 1842
BEESON, JOHN K., b. 1868; d. 1942
BEESON, JOHN T., b. 1911; d. 1957
BEESON, JONATHAN D., b. May 1, 1828; d. Jan. 19, 1884
BEESON, JOSEPH RICHARD, b. July 28, 1834; d. Oct. 8, 1834
BEESON, JOSEPHINE A., b. 1917; d. 1993
BEESON, KIMBERLY JO., b. 1958; d. 1959
BEESON, LOUISA WALLACE, b. 1837; d. April 15, 1858
BEESON, LOUISA CLARKE, b. Feb. 1, 1808; d. Nov. 27, 1879
BEESON, LOUISA CAROLINE PENNOCK, b. Jan. 27, 1796; d. Aug. 17, 1834
BEESON, MARY, b. July 5, 1817; d. April 12, 1906
BEESON, MARY CONN, b. April 14, 1843; d. Jan. 21, 1888
BEESON, MARY A. NICHOLSON, b. 1806; d. July 9, 1840
BEESON, MARY ISABEL, no dates
BEESON, MARY J., b. 1889; d. 1971
BEESON, MARY LOU, b. 1887, 1922
BEESON, MAY FRANCES HUNT, b. 1865; d. 1926
BEESON, MONROE, b. May 29, 1825; d. May 20, 1894
BEESON, NANCY ANN BEESON, b. April 14, 1781; d. March 2, 1827
BEESON, SUSANNA VIRGINIA RANKIN, b. 1845; d. 1924
BEESON, WALTER R., b. 1872; d. May 18, 1948
BEESON, WILLIAM, b. Oct. 24, 1824; d. May 14, 1913
BEESON, WILLIAM H., b. 1879; d. 1955
BEESON, WILLIAM TEMPLETON, b. Jan. 3, 1859; d. 1935
BEESON, WILLIE, b. 1871; d. May 1877