Re: JOHN BERRY B. 1831-TN.
"LOOKING FOR PARENTS OF JOHN BERRY, IN THE 1870 CENSUS JEFFERSON COUNTY, TN. LISTED AS AGE 39, POB:TN., WIFE CELINA (DARLINA) AGE 35 B:TN., CHILDREN: HANNAH J.(12), JAMES A.(5), HETTA A.(3),& GEORGE F(5 Months)"
Betty, you asked if the above John Berry was the same as the son of Green Berry in Sumner Co TN in 1850.
I have participated with others in researching the Green Berry you mention, and here's what I can share at this point.
(1) As to the son of Green Berry named John Berry, we don't have anything definitive yet as to what became of him after the 1850 census. His place of birth is not listed in 1850, and it would be helpful to know where he was born. It's almost certainly either NC or TN, as he was born in about 1830 and his parents were married in 1828 in NC.
(2) In 1860 your John Berry is almost certainly in the census as follows:
Home in 1860: Jefferson, Tennessee
John BerryM 26laborerTenn
M E"F 7"
H J"F 3"
S E"F 1"
A SmelserM 37laborer"
As you noted, in 1870 in the same county:
Berry JohnM 39farmerTennessee
_____ Perlina A F 35Tennessee
_____ Hannah J F 12Tennessee
plus 3 youngsters not born in 1860
(3) The family of John Berry, son of Green Berry, moved to KY before 1860. Although possible, it seems unlikely he would have headed back east from Sumner Co to Jefferson Co as he married in the early 1850s or soon thereafter.
(4) In the census, your John Berry was consistently listed as having parents both being born in Tennessee. Our John Berry (son of Green Berry) was of parents who were from NC. Mistakes happen in the census, but it would be quite unusual for the same error to be made each and every time.
(5) As I'm sure you know, yours remarried in about 1875, and ended up moving to Sevier County.