Stacy, I came across this on your Bisbey:
Margaret Mangers (email@example.com)
12 Jun 1998
Searching for information on the descendents of John TOMS and Louisa J BESBY. John and Louisa came to Whiteside Co. after the Civil War and lived inPortland Twp. They had the following children that also came to Whiteside at the same time. 1. Laura Lottetta TOMS b 1850 NY d 26 Dec 1936 Sterling, mThomas BRYSON Jr 19 Jun 1877 in Whiteside Co., 2 Frank TOMS b 1855 IL/IA d 1908 Whitesdie Co, m Rachel SHEPHARD, 3. Ella A/ Ellen TOMS b 1860 IA/IL, d after 1940 OR, m 1st Egbert INGERSON 1875, m 2nd Charles H ELLIOTT 1881, 4. Clementine (Clem) TOMS b 1860-61 IA, d 1940 IL, m William DOR(A)(O)THY 1876. Where did their descendents end up????????
From the Bent Wilson History of Whiteside Co., IL 1877.
HEZEKIAH BRINK was born May 21, 1809, in the State of Vermont. While he was an infant the family moved to Erie county, New York; thence to Pennsylvania, and soon afterwards to New Richmond, near Cincinnati, Ohio. Mr. Brink’s father was a soldier of the war of 1812, and was killed at a battle near Buffalo, New York. His widow married Samuel S. Geer, and moved from Ohio to Carroll county, Kentucky. After a stay of two years the family changed their residence to Madison, Indiana, where the subject of our sketch served an apprenticeship of five years at the hatter’s trade. In 1834, Mr. Brink came to Whiteside county, and made a claim on section 22, in the present township of Sterling. A reference to his exploring expedition through a portion of Rock River Valley prior to making his claim will be found in the history of the township. Mr. Brink, and Messrs. Andrews and Holland, who made the exploring expedition with him, together with a Mr. Bisbie who accompanied Mr. Brink back from Fox river, and Win. Andrews, first commenced work on the Holland claim where Como now is. The horses and oxen owned by the party being found insufficient to break prairie, Mr. Brink was despatched to Bureau county to secure an additional yoke of oxen, and a plow. A cabin was erected for Bisbie near the location of the old Como dam, and another one afterwards built near the drive to the ferry landing. Three or four days were spent in breaking praine, when the whole party was prostrated with fever. The settlement was then abandoned, and the party went to Sugar Grove, Mr.Brink putting up with Benj. Stewart, and the others at John Morgan’s. Mr. Holland soon afterwards died; Bisbie returned to Fox river, and Andrews to Dixon. Andrews afterwards sold his claim at Como to Jason Hopkins, and those of Holland and Bisbie were abandoned. In 1834, Mr. Brink broke five acres on section 22, where John Stauffer now lives. Wolves were then numerous and bold, at times being so audacious as to steal Mr. Brink’s dinner from his wagon. In November of that year he built a log cabin of round logs on the lot where Mr. Cross now lives, on block 34, east of Broadway, Sterling. In 1836, Mr. Brink broke prairie for William Kirkpatrick, where the Fair Grounds are now located. He also broke five acres during the same year for Anthony Sells, where Mr. Reed now resides, and several acres in 1835 near the Big Spring in Coe’s Grove, for S. Miles Coe. In 1837, he built a saw and grist mill, and a carding machine, the latter of which he sold to Adam Knox. The mill property was sold to Joel Harvey, in 1847. Mr. Brink built another saw mill on the Elkhorn in 1850, which he sold to Smiths and Weber. He married Miss Martha Buckhannan, September 25, 1829, in Ripley county, Indiana. Their children have been Thomas and Mary, who died in infancy; Samuel, born July 21,1834; Margara, born February 25, 1836; David, born April 7,1838. Mrs. Brink died October 16, 1839, and Mr. Brink married Miss Sophronia L. Guffin, October 11, 1840. The children by this marriage have been Harvey, born November 30, 1841; Caroline, born February 7, 1845; Albert, born March 2,1847; Julia L., born March 26, 1849; Newton L., born August 11, 1851; Alma, born November 9, 1853; Ada M., born September 8, 1855; Ella, born April 13, 1858; Martha Belle, born September 9,1860, and Allen H., born May 21, 1865. Sixteen children were born of the two marriages, of whom nine are now living. Margara married A. B. Crandall, in 1855. Charles died in 1844, and Alma in September, 1854. Harvey died of typhoid fever at Nashville, Tennessee, while a member of Company D, 75th Illinois Volunteers. Samuel died at Burmuda Hundred, being then a Sergeant in Company G, 39th Illinois Volunteers. David is now a resident of Page county, Iowa; he served during the war in Company B, l3th lllinois Volunteers. Albert resides in Sterling; he was also in the war, and served in Company G, 39th Illinois Volunteers. Newton resides in Pottawottamie county, Iowa. Caroline married H. N. Bartholomew, and lives in Powesheik county, Iowa. Julia L. married Daniel Cole; Mr. Cole died and she afterwards married J. M. Armstrong, and now lives in Rock Falls. The remaining children are living in Sterling.