Re: Brinckerhoff in Hudson River Valley, NY, 1700's
There is extensive info in this book about the Garret STORM house in the town of East Fishkill, Dutchess County, NY.It states that east of the Hopewell Dutch Church thee is a neighborhood known locally as Upper Hopewell, which was settled in the 2nd quarter of the 18th century by the STORMs from Westchester County and the ADRIANCEs and BRICKERHOFFs from Long Island.The STORMs of Sleep Hollow, Westchester County, descended from Dirck STORM and Maria Pieters MONFORT, who came to New Netherland in the shop Fox in 1662.Their ancestors later sold some of the farm property to Brickerhoff.In 1785, John Adriance (b. 1753, d. 1794) whose wife, Engeltje, was Thomas Storm's sister, bought the farm and 9 years later, when he died, the executors of his will sold the property to George BRINCKERHOFF (b. 1726, died 1797) of Newtown, Long Island, who removed from Long Island and established in Dutchess a home for himself and his family.His descendant, Mrs. Ernest CLAPP of Hawthorne, NY, owned the house and farm in the 1920's.Mrs. Clapp's father was T. VanWyck Brinckerhoff, who did so much to conserve local history data in his monograph on Fishkill and in a genealogy of the Brinckerhoff family.
The House of Derick Brinckerhoff:In the first quarter of the 18th century, Madam Brett offered her lands in Dutchess County for sale as homestead farms, and one of the first large purchasers was Dirck Brinckerhoff (b. 1667, died 1748) of Flushing, Long Island, who in 1718 bought 2,000 acres lying along the course of the Vis Kil from Fishkill village to the Sprout Creek.This track was taken up and developed by his four sons, Abraham, John, Isaac and Jacob. Abraham Brinckerhoff (born about 1700, died before 1743), eldest son of Dirck of Flushing, removed from Long Island to Dutchess Co. in his early manhood and built a stone house of two rooms, with a chimney between.He died before middle life, leaving a widow (Femmetje, daughter of Joris Remsen Vanderbeck of Long Island) and seven children.His eldest son, Derick (born about 1720-25, died 1789) married in 1747 to Geertje Wyckoff of Flatlands, Long Island, and succeeded to his father's house and lands in Dutchess.Derick Brinckerhoff was a man of energy and initiative.He built a grist-mill on the Vis Kil, carried on a store and the mill prosperously.In person, he is known to have been tall and heavily built, with dark hair and florid complexion.He kept fine horses and rode in a phaeton, a conveyance which carried two passengers and was driven by a negro coachman.Derick Brinckerhoff's capacity made him prominent locally in public life and he served the county both in civil and militaryaffairs.From 1768 to 1775 he was a member of the Provincial Assembly, in 1775 a delegate to the first Provincial Congress of New York, and a representative of the Assembly (1777-1787) of the newly organized State of New York.During the Revolution he was a Colonel of a regiment of militia and chairman of the vigilance committee of the town.
There is much more.Might be easier for you to get the book at your local library or purchase a copy, as there is much here about your family.
Dutch Houses In The Hudson Valley Before 1776, with 150 Illustrations, by Helen Wilkinson Reynolds, pub. 1929, and republished by the Dover Press.