Samuel Whiteside, a resident of Port Byron, came to Rock Island County in 1842. He was born Feb. 14, 1822, in Jefferson Co., Ind., and is the son of William and Elizabeth (Blanke) Whiteside. His parents were both natives of Kentucky. when their son was four years old they removed to Cark Co., Ined., and where they resided six years. At the end of that time they resided six years. At the end of that time they made another transfer of their interests to Jefferson Co., Ky. Two years later they returned to Indiana. The father bought a farm in Clark county and there married in 1840. The young couple lived there two years, and after the event of their marriage, and in the year already named, came to Illinois. They traveled by the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers and were about four weeks on the way. they located at Port Byron, and Mr. Whiteside operated a copper's shop, in which business he continued ten years. He then began to operate as a plaster-mason, and after following that business three years, he engaged in the manufacute of brick. He managed that business threee years. In 1846 he was elected Constable, and served in that capacity several years. In 1861 he was appointed Postmaster at Port Byron and held the office until 1864. In that yeare he obtained an appointment as route agent on the Chicago & Rock Island Railroad, and discharged the duties of the position three years. At the end of that time he resiged and opened a grocery at Port Byron. In the spring following he was burned out and having no insurance suffered a total loss. He resumed his business and continued it until fall, when he sold out. His next business enterprise was that of a butcher, in which he was interested until 1871. The following year he devoted to the manufacturer of brick. In 1872 he went to Nebraska and entered a homestead claim of land in Hamilton County, on which he operated persoanlly five years. At the end of that time, in 1877, he rented the place which he had put in excellent agricultural condition, with all necessary frame building. He returned to Port Byron with the intenetion of making it his permanent abode, and in 1882 bought a lot, where he erected his resident. Following is the reocrd of children of Mr. and Mrs. Whiteside, six in number: Elizabeth married Abraham Bruner; John, emmons, James, Joseph, and Charles, are the names of those who are unmarried. While Mr. Whiteside was Postmaster in the Civil War broke out, and in July, 1862, he entlisted in Co. G, 126th Regt. Ill. Inf. He was in the military service one year when he received an honorable discharge on account of disability and resumed the duties of his office at Port Byron.