Joyners Ferry, Amelia Twp., SC
A book entitled "A history of Richland County" by Edwin L. Green that was published in 1974 gives a lot of history of this area including the following:
Joseph Joyner recorded in 1749 a tract of 300 acres touching both the Wateree and Congaree near their junction.A plat dated three years later has on it "path to Joyner's Ferry."By 1756 this ferry was discontinued and was succeeded by McCord's Ferry which was operated at the same place.
An Act of July 2, 1766 a ferry of public use 'at a place now clled John McCord's ferry'.John McCord had secured land on the east side of the Congaree near its juncture with the Wateree in 1757.His ferry superseded Joyner's Ferry.The road from Charleston branched at this point, one branch crossing at this ferry and continuing up the Wateree to Camden, the other ran up the west bank of the Congaree to the Congarees or Granby.Some of the maps published about the Revolution call this McCants Ferry which is probably a mistake as there seems to be no evidence for the name.This ferry remained in use until 1923 when it was superseded by a bridge.This bridge was destroyed during a flood in the sum er of 1928 but was retored in 1930.It was long known as Bate's Ferry.