Re: Moses BURT, born 1771, Salem NJ
I have conflicting information on Moses Burt's ancestry. First,
Date sent:Tue, 3 Aug 1999 21:13:11
Subject:Burt's in Indiana
I have just returned from an ancestor finding trip in Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio.While I still have not found my particular Burt family--Louis and Elizabeth (Betty) Burt and son Lloyd and Alta M. Burt--I did come closer.
My mother found this information in a filing cabinet in the Indianapolis, Indiana public library.It concerns a Moses Burt son of John, son of Richard, son of Richard, son of Richard, son of Richard of Taunton Massachusetts.Moses Burt, Sr. was born14 Apr 1771 and died 10 Aug 1832--buried on his farm in Fayette Co. Indiana.He married Lovicy Westcott, b. 1 Mar 1776 in Cumb. Co. New Jersey and died 2 Oct 1863.She was buried in the same place as her husband.They moved from Cedarville, Cumb. Co. N.J. into Pittsgrove Twsp., Salem Co., N.J. and kept a tavern at the Pole. Moved to Orange Twsp, Indiana and had 12 children.
Clement William Burt
Eliza Betsy Burt
Julia Ann Burt
Moses Burt Jr.
Edgar Mortimer Burt
Alonzo Montravillo Burt
Albert Melvin Burt
Hannah Westcott Burt
There's more detail on spouses and dates of birth and death if anyone is
DAR ID Number: 98746
Born in Camden, N. J.
Wife of Horace Hatton Smith.
Descendant of Hendrick Voorhees, Capt. Samuel Westcott, Capt. Azel Pierson, John Burt, and Richard Shaw, as follows:
1. Charles Henry Snyder (b. 1842) m. 1865 Matilda Rosanna Pierson (b. 1842).
2. Jacob Snyder (1825-88) m. 1841 Hannah Vanaman (1818-91); Lucius Collins Pierson (1818-78) m. 1841 Maria Rosanna Saurman (1803-1908).
3. Daniel Vanaman (1790-1833) m. 1816 Ulena Shaw (1789-1862); Azel Pierson (1794-1824) m. 1816 Abigail Burt (1798-1886); Jacob Essler Saurman (1800-39) m. 1820 Sarah C. Voorhees (1803-90).
4. Richard Shaw m. Catharine Vanaman; Azel Pierson (1767-1813) m. 1789 Phobe Clark (1767-1842); Hendrick Voorhees m. Elizabeth Williams (1760-1836); Moses Burt (1771-1832) m. 1792 Lovicy Westcott (1776-1866).
5. Azel Pierson m. 1760 Philithia Sayre (1741-94); John Burt m. 1746 - Smith; Samuel Westcott m. Hannah Shaw.
[p.236] Hendrick Voorhees (1762-1827) received a pension for service as private, New Jersey troops. He was born in Germany; died in New York City.
Samuel Westcott (1736-93), in 1779, was captain of the 1st battalion, Cumberland County, New Jersey militia. He was born in Salem County; died in Cumberland County, N. Y.
Azel Pierson (1739-98) served as captain, 1776, in 2nd regiment of Cumberland County, New Jersey militia. He was born and died in Cedarville, N. J.
John Burt (1720-98) served, 1777, as a private in Captain Hollinshead's company, Col. Israel Shreve's regiment, New Jersey Continental Line. He was born in Ridgefield, Conn.; died in Cumberland County, N. J.
Richard Shaw served as private in Col. Richard Somers' regiment, Gloucester County, New Jersey militia. He was born in Cumberland County, N. J., and died there in 1809.
Third, I have the information that John Burt the father of Moses Burt was born Nov. 9, 1720 in Ridgefield, CT.
I hope you can make something of this.