SUPPOSED TO BE ANDREW BYERLY
Title: Old and new Westmoreland / by John N. Boucher. Vol. 2.
Author: Boucher, John Newton, 1854-1933.
Penn Township is one of the most fertile townships in our county. It is bounded on the west by Allegheny County; on the south by North Huntingdon and Hempfied townships; on the east by Hempfield Township, and on the north by Salem and Franklin townships. Across it runs the Forbes Road, as cut by General John Forbes in 1758. The noted battle of Bushy Run was also fought within its borders, about one and a half miles north of Penn on the Pennsylvania Railroad. The surface of the township is hilly and the farms are well cultivated. It has an abundance of bituminous coal, which is easily mined. The coal veins are generally about seven feet in thickness and they have added greatly to the wealth of the township.
One of the early settlers in the township and one of the early settlers of the county as well, was ANDREW BYERLY. His exploits as a pioneer and Indian fighter are elsewhere considered. Other early settlers were BALTHAZER MYERS, the early teacher and preacher; the EWINGS, FRICHMANS, McWILLIAMS, KEMERERS, BRINKERS, FINKS, KNAPPENBERGERS, KIESTERS, HEISLERS, SNYDERS, BERLINS, LAUFFERS, GONGAWARES, WAUGAMANS, BLACKBURNS, MILLERS, WALTHOURS, SHUSTERS, NEWDERFERS, SOWASHES, KIFERS, KLINES, CLARKS and others.