Anna Powers and Her Husbands:James Call, Jacob Nutting, Elder Joseph Call, Caleb Agard, and Moses Emerson
By:Trica Willey Hazelton, wife of James
Anna Powers was born 15 Sep. 1758, Hardwick, Worchester Co., MA (1).Her parents were Andrew Powers and Lois Emons (1).At the age of 15, she became the third wife of James Call on28 Sep. 1773, probably in Vermont (1).He was born 2 Sep. 1728 (Julian calendar), Charlestown, Suffolk Co., MA (3).The family book of his granddaughter Amanda Call Pease recorded him born in 13 Sep. 1728, Charlestown, MA, (Gregorian calendar). James Call was the son of Samuel Call and Abigail Sprague (3). James Call and Anna Powers had the following known children:
Birth: 27 Jun 1775 Windsor Co., VT, Area (1)
Death: 24 May 1776,Windsor Co., VT Area (1)
Birth: 13 Feb 1778, Woodstock, Windsor Co., VT (1), (2)
Birth: 31 Mar 1781, Woodstock, Windsor Co., VT(1), (2)
Birth: 5 Oct 1783, Woodstock, Windsor Co., VT(1), (2)
Birth: 27 Dec 1785, Windsor Co., VT area (1)
6 : Richard Call
Birth: 8 May 1786, Woodstock, Windsor Co., VT (1), (2)
7Jonathan P. Call
Birth: 26 Sep 1789, Woodstock, Windsor Co., VT(1), (2)
James Call died 3 Feb. 1807, Hartford, Windsor Co., VT, (1), (4), and buried in the Hilltop Cemetery, Quechee, Windsor Co., VT (4).His widow then married Jacob Nutting on 28 Oct. 1810, Hartford, Windsor Co., VT.(5).Within the decade of 1810-1820, she migrated with her sons to Geauga Co., OH.There she married Elder Joseph Call, 23 May 1820 (6).Amanda Call Pease’s family book had this couple married incorrectly on 29 May 1821 (1).Her family journal also had recorded that Joseph Call was the brother to James Call.Incorrectly, Amanda Call Pease recorded that Joseph Call died 12 Jun 1825, since Anna married Caleb Agard, 30 Apr 1825, Geauga Co., OH (7).She recorded that Anna married Caleb Agard,but recorded that she did not know the marriage date.On 2 Oct .1828, Anna Agard married Moses Emerson in Geauga Co., OH (8).Again, Amanda Call Pease recorded the marriage but not the date.Moses and Anna Emerson are present on the 1830 US Census of Perry twp., Geauga Co., OH.She was recorded between the ages of 70 through 79, i.e., the decade of 1750-1760, which accurately corresponds with her birth year of 1758 (1), (9).The final entry in Amanda Call Pease’s family journal regarding Anna, is her death date of 30 Jul. 1839, probably in Geauga Co., OH, area (1).
1. Family Book of Amanda Call Pease, Title Page in her handwriting: “Amanda Call Pease Book Henrietta Lorain Ohio Apr 11th 1852The families of Isaac and ChandlerPease of Enfield Conn Moved to Ohio in 1811The family of Luke Peaseof Henrietta Ohio Moved to Montrose Dane Co Wisconsin June 1853,” the orginal book in possession of Judith E. Nelson, great gramddaughter of Charles Roscoe Pease.
2. Vital Records of Woodstock, Vermont, Book B, p. 7, FHL film #0029129.
3. Vital Records of Charlestown, Massachusetts to 1850, americanancestors.org database.
5. Email from Kat King, 26 Apr 2010, marriage information received from Hartford Genealogy Society.
6. http://files.usgwarchives.org/oh/geauga/marriages/brides/no.txthttp://files.usgwarchives.org/oh/geauga/marriages/brides/no.txt, Geauga Co., OH, Marriage Book A, p. 135.
7. http://files.usgwarchives.org/oh/geauga/marriages/brides/c1.txthttp://files.usgwarchives.org/oh/geauga/marriages/brides/c1.txt, Geauga Co., OH, Marriage Book B, p. 13.
8. http://files.usgwarchives.org/oh/geauga/marriages/brides/a.txthttp://files.usgwarchives.org/oh/geauga/marriages/brides/a.txt, Geauga Co., OH, Marriage Book B, p. 109.
9. 1830 US Census of Perry twp., Geauga Co., OH, p. 215.