Researching ancestors, family and descendants of William CALVIN (c. 1785-1861) and Anne HADDEN (c. 1796-c. 1875) of Creevlea townland, Clones parish, near Stonebridge, Co. Monaghan, Ireland. William was a farmer and served as an elder in the Stonebridge Presbyterian Church. His wife's HADDEN family were from Carnteel Parish, Co. Tyrone.
1832 Tithe Appointment books of IRELAND (persons whose holdings were subjects to tithes or church payments), Parish of Clones, townland of Creevlea:
William Calvin, senior - 5 acres, 3 roods, 8 perches William Calvin, junior - 12 acres only
1. Eliza Jane Calvin - born about 1817, eldest daughter. Married William Johnston and remained in Ireland. Descendants not yet traced. In Griffith's Valuation, there are 3 entries for "William Johnston" in Clones parish: at Maghery, Gransha More and Drumnagalvin.
2. William Calvin - born about 1820/1821, eldest son. Served in the Royal Artillery 1842-1864, died 1865. Married, had 4 children who lived in or near London in late 1800s.
3. Anne Calvin - baptised 28 April 1821, died bef. 1834
4. Maria Calvin - baptised 28 May 1822. Married Martin Johnston of Co. Fermanagh, who served in the 2nd Monaghan Regt., Royal Irish Constabulary. Said to have emigrated to U.S. but descendants are unknown.
5. Matilda Calvin - born 6 October 1825, bapt. 12 October. Married John Allen & had 6 children. Remained in Ireland, died 1911.
6. Joseph Calvin - born 10 June 1827, emigrated to U.S., was educated at Princeton & became a Presbyterian minister. Married Caroline Malvina Crenshaw in Alabama, had 2 daughters. Died 1867.
7. John Calvin - baptised 27 June 1829. Married Anne Boyd, had 6 children. Remained in Ireland, died 1893.
8. Isabella Calvin - baptised 14 July 1831. No marriage is recorded for her at Stonebridge. Did she die young, or emigrate to the U.S. or elsewhere?
9. David Calvin - baptised 2 June 1834. Emigrated to Australia where he died.
10. Lucinda Calvin - baptised 24 February 1836. Married James Blakeley & emigrated to Ottawa, Canada. Had 9 children, died 1916.
11. daughter - born & died November 1837
12. Archibald Calvin - born January 1840. Emigrated to California and died there in early 1900s. Married, had one son.