According to the Clerk of the Board of the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors, Juan Camarillo (for whom the city of Camarillo was named) was the 4th person to serve as the Chairman of the Board of Supervisors for the County.
Juan Camarillo, who represented the 1st District was Chair in 1863.
Santa Barbara County was established by an act of the California State Legislature on February 18, 1850.From that date until January 1, 1855, the highest legislative body in Santa Barbara County was called the Court of Sessions.The Court of Sessions consisted of a panel of 3 Judges who considered and approved legislation in the County until January 1, 1855, when the Board of Supervisors took their seats for the first time.
In 1855 Pablo De La Guerra , representing the 2nd District was selected to serve as Chair.In 1856 Antonio Maria De La Guerra served and remained Chair until 1862 when Gaspar Orena took over.He served two terms.In 1863 Juan Camarillo was Chair.He is not mentioned again in the list of Chairman.It is not known when he began or ended his service on the Board.It still needs to be researched by the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors.
On the 4th Floor of the County Administration Building at Anapamu and Anacapa Streets, there is a gallery of photos of most of the County Supervisors.There is NO picture of Juan Camarillo.If someone has a photo that could be copied to approximately 8x10 inches, it could be displayed with the other early leaders of the County.To contact the Clerk of the Board to offer the picture, you may phone (805)568-3000 and ask for the Clerk of the Board's Office.