A History of Uniontown: The County Seat of Fayette County, Pennsylvania Author: Hadden, James, 1845-1923, Uniontown, PA JAMES HADDEN – author of Washington's & Braddock's Expeditions Akron, Ohio: Printed by the New Werner Co., 1913
Pg. 64 SAMUEL YOUNG CAMPBELL, brother of DR. HUGH CAMPBELL, (pg. 65) purchased this lot, fronting 58 feet on Main Street, from the heirs of Dr. Simonson, March 14, 1827, and immediately removed the old frame building to Morgantown Street where it became the residence of Mrs. Eliza Murphy until her death, and was torn down in the spring of 1911.
MR. CAMPBELL erected on this lot a large two-story brick residence and store room into which he moved his family and store in 1830.The parlor was on the west and the store room on the east of the hallway.
SAMUEL Y. CAMPBELL was the son of BENJAMIN CAMPBELL, a silversmith, and came with his parents to Uniontown in 1792.He became a prosperous business man and an influential member of the Presbyterian church.He owned a branch store in Connellsville which was under the charge of David M.Whaley and styled D. M. Whaley & Co.MR. CAMPBELL'S first wife was a MRS. TRIGG of Wytheville, VA, by whom he had one son, ALEXANDER HAMILTON CAMPBELL, who became a prominent physician of this town, and one daughter, MELVINA, who never married and died in Baltimore about 1895.His second wife was SARAH CROZER by whom he had three children.He died at Upland, after an illness of only two days, in 1856.
Pg. 179 SAMUEL Y. CAMPBELL carried on the dry good business here and also occupied the residence.His first wife died while he was an occupant of this property, in 1824.
Pg. 666 SAMUEL CROZER CAMPBELL died April 17, 1835, aged 4 years, 5 months and 4 days.He was the son of SAMUEL Y. CAMPBELL who built the property now owned and occupied by the Harah shoe store, West Main Street.
Pg. 168 DR. ALEXANDER HAMILTON CAMPBELL, a son of SAMUEL Y. CAMPBELL, purchased this property from the executors of the will of BENJAMIN CAMPBELL, Feb. 9, 1850, and occupied it as a residence (pg. 169) and physician's office.He married MISS MARY HOWELL, a sister to ALFRED HOWELL, ESQ.He commenced the practice of medicine, May 25, 1843, along with Dr. S. S. Rogers, in the John Campbell row on Pittsburg Street.