Carraway House on Witchduck Rd. in Kempsville, one of the few 18th century frame dwellings remaining in Virgina Beach, provides a few of the examples of a middle class residence. A James Carraway acquired the land in 1733 and the house may have been built shortly after that date. An addition was added to the body of the house later in the 18th century and the wing on the right side was a separate kitchen until it was attached to the house in the 20th century. Members of the Carraway family occupied the house for over 200 yrs., before new owners acquired it in 1979 and opened a gift shop there a year later. In 1962 the house was lifted up and moved a short distance north and west from the original location to accomodate the extension of Witchduck Rd. the house was being used as a Real Estate Office when we went to visit in the year 2000. A burial ground is located next to the house and these are the names on the readable tombstones; Bette Carraway b. Sep 21, 1880--d. Nov 20, 1964 Catherine Carraway1841--1924 Annie G. Carraway1873--1939 James S. Carraway1867--1931 William M. Carrawayson of J.S. and Annie1838--1899 James S. Carraway1111901--1963 John D. Carraway1836--1914 Virginia Carraway Hicks1903--1977 SOWHO WAS THIS JAMES CARRAWAY AND WHERE DOES HE TIE IN WITH THE ORIGINAL JOHN CARRAWAY?????