Green co Ky Carter Family
Researching Joseph Carter and Robert Carter of Green co Ky
Joseph Carter was born 1760 in Va.He married Mary Ross.In 1783 he received a grant of 100 acres in Ky from the state of Va. for service in the war. In 1805 he got a land grant on Ill will creek for 127 acres of land in Cumberland Co Ky...later Green County, Ky.He is believed to descend from the Carter family of Halifax NC.and possibly the brother of Robert Carter below.Joseph Carter died in Green Ky in 1829.The division of his estate prove his children. The property was divided into 9 lots and each heir got a draw.One Heir died before the final settlement of the estate (Robert P. Carter d. 1831)
Children of Joseph Carter:
1. Amy (lot 3) married John Brown
2. Joseph Carter Jr.(lot 5)
3. Robert Proval Carter (lot 4) drawn by his heirs he had died in 1831. see note below.
4. Sarah Carter (lot 8) married Joel L. Woodard
5. Thomas Carter (lot 2)
6. Brackston Carter (lot 9) Note living at the time but did not purchase anything at the estate sale as do other heirs and does not appear on any other Green co Ky records.It is believed he may be the Braxton Carter living in Williamsonand Shelby co Tenn and that he never moved to Green Ky, but stopped off on the way.Note descendants of his brother Robert Proval Carter.
7. Coleman Carter (lot 1) becameSheriff of Green Ky
8. Nancy Carter (lot 6) m Alexander Sympson(childhood friendof Abraham Lincoln)
9.Mrs Matthews (lot 7) drawn by John Mathews and Wife.
Note:Robert Proval Carter married MaryPolly Smith in Green Ky 30 Sept. 1819. They had the following children:All seem to have moved to Missouri.Mary remarried to Barnett Beavers and moved to Audrain Missouri where her children had moved.Her second husband died before 1850.
1. John G. Carter b 1820 green Ky d. Fulton Callaway Missouri
2. Alexander Carter Sr. b 1822 Green Ky d Audrain Missouri had son BRAXTON CARTER b. 1863
3. Mary Ann Carter b. 1824 Green Ky.
4.Robert G. Carter b 1825 Green Ky
5. James Carter b 1829 Green Ky
Robert Carter b. 1766 d. 1823 Hart, Green Ky. married Martha Patton.Robertarrived in the Green co area about 1810 shown by the marriage record of his daughter Elizabeth to Richard Munford.Robert Carter is thought to be from Halifax NC.where therewere connections between the Munford family and the Carters.
Children of Robert and Martha Patton:
1. Gibson Carter b abt 1784 Halifax
2. Mansfield Carter b. abt 1784 Halifax
3. Britton Carter b. abt 1788
4. Amy Carter b. 22 slept 1790 Halifax Nc M John Brown
5. Nancy Carter b. abt 1810 m Alexander Sympson
6. Sally Carter b. abt 1802
7. Robert Gibson Carter b. abt 1794 Halifax NC.
8. Elizabeth Carter b. abt 1790 m Richard Munford.
Many of these children moved on later to Cass co Ill.
descendant Victor Carter DNA test Kit 16689R1a
Mike Carter (mcarter5551 at ancestry)[email protected]( Kit 215152)