George Ciphery Jr was born July 8, 1848, at Northlew, northwest of Okehampton, Devonshire, England, & he died in the 1930s at Northchester, Essex Co, Ontario, Canada. George Ciphery Jr was the son of George Ciphery [or Cyphery] Sr (b Devonshire, England, May 1812; d East Whitby Township, Ontario Co, Ontario, Canada, Aug 10, 1872), by his wife, Susannah Phair [or Phare or Fair] (1803-1897). George Ciphery Jr had two known siblings: Mary Ciphery, born ca 1840-48, who married William Headley in Ontario; & Ann Ciphery (1850-1935), who married in East Whitby, Ontario, Nov 27, 1872, John Grose (1848-1891) [son of Joseph Grose (1804-1896), of East Whitby, Ontario, by his wife, Elizabeth James (1805-1891)], of East Whitby & Peterborough, Ontario, & they had issue, all born in East Whitby Tornship, Ontario Co, Ontario:
1. Susan Ann Grose, b 1874; d Peterborough, Ontario, 1920; married Nov 1902, Robert J. King;
2. John Joseph Grose, b 1876; d Peterborough, Ontario, 1928; married at Ashburnham, Peterborough Co, Ontario, Emma Alberta Rightmyer;
3. Mary Elizabeth Grose, b 1877; living in 1946, spinster;
4. Lucy Maud Grose, b 1880; d unmarried in Peterborough, Ontario in 1915;
5. William Grose, b 1884; d unmarried in Peterborough, Ontario, 1917;
6. Thomas Edgar "Ed" Grose, b 1886; d 19??; married Ellen Retta Brown;
7. Oliver Edward Grose, b 1889; d Peterborough, Ontario, in 1943.
In the early 1850s, George Sr & Susannah Ciphery emigrated from Devonshire, England, & settled in East Whitby Township, Ontario Co, Ontario, Canada. On Oct 18, 1877, George Ciphery Jr married in Colchester, Essex Co, Ontario, Catherine Buckingham (b Darlington, Ontario, Sept 7, 1857) [daughter of Richard Buckingham, of Colchester, Essex Co, Ontario, by his wife, Mary Donna Deacon), & by her had issue, ten children:
1. Clara Ciphery, b Little Britain, Victoria Co, Ont, Oct 8, 1878;
2. George Watson Ciphery, b Gesto, Essex Co, Ont, Jan 8, 1880;
3. Ernest Gordon Ciphery, b Colchester North, Essex Co, Ont, Feb 11, 1882;
4. Walter Noble Ciphery, b Colchester North, Essex Co, Ont, Feb 2, 1834;
5. Florence Mulvina Ciphery, b Colchester North, Essex Co, Ont, Jan 30, 1886; 6. Anna Maria Ciphery, b Colchester North, Essex Co, Ont, Feb 25, 1888;
7. Mabel Lillian Ciphery, b Colchester North, Essex Co, Ont, July 17, 1890;
8. Harvey Rowland Ciphery, b Colchester North, Essex Co, Ont, June 30, 1892;
9. Lovidy Belle Ciphery, b Colchester North, Essex Co, Ont, July 7, 1894;
10. Stanley Richard Ciphery, b Colchester North, Essex Co, Ont, Jan 5, 1897.
The above mentioned Susannah Phair Ciphery (b at Highampton or Bratton Clovelly, Devonshire, England, in 1803; d in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada, Dec 8, 1897), was the youngest child of William Phair, of Bratton Clovelly, Devonshire, England, by his wife, Honor Heathman, who married her husband on Apr 17, 1786, at Bratton Clovelly, Devonshire.
Note: Phair also spelt as Phare or Phear or Fair. The IGI has recorded the christenings of seven children of William Phair & his wife, Honor Heathman. All the christenings took place at Bratton Clovelly, Devonshire, England. They are as follows: 1. Elizabeth Phair, ch Sept 17, 1786; 2. William Phair, ch March 15, 1789, died March 5, 1865; 3. John Phair, ch Nov 29, 1791, died July 26, 1874; 4. Ann Phair, ch Nov 25, 1794; 5. Mary Phair, ch Nov 7, 1797; 6. Maria Phair, ch Dec 14, 1800; 7. Susanna Phair, ch Aug 16, 1803, died Dec 8, 1897 (Susanna Phair married George Ciphery)
Highampton & Northlew are hamlets situated only about a mile or so apart from each other, just a few miles to the northwest of Okehampton, Devonshire. Bratton Clovelly is located a few miles south of Highampton & Northlew, to the west of Okehampton, Devonshire, England.
Re the 1881 Cdn Census for Whitby East, Ontario Co, Ont, Susanna Phair Cyphery, aged 77 yr, was then residing in the household of her daughter Ann & husband John Grose & children; also residing in the same household was Laura Matilda Fair (or Phair), aged 16, born Ontario. Laura was probably a great-niece of Susannah Phair Cyphery, thereby indicating that at least one of Susannah’s brothers or nephews had also immigrated to Canada.
#002121-73 (Ontario County, Ontario Marriage Records): John GRASE, 22, farmer, East Whitby twp., same, s/o Joseph & Elizabeth, married Ann CIPHERY, 22, England, East Whitby twp., d/o George & Susannah, witnesses were Michael & Elizabeth GRASE of E. Whitby, Nov. 27, 1872 at E. Whitby Twp.