Re: Elizabeth (MITTON) CLARKE / Seeking Matrilineal Descendants for mtDNA Project
Dorcas, wife of James-2 ANDREWS (Samuel-1), is frequently but incorrectly identified as a daughter of Michael-1 & Elizabeth (CLEEVE) MITTON, thanks in part to the following source:
Robert J. Dunkle, “The Andrews–Cogswell–Page Bible,” Genealogist 3 (1982): 45-95
John Brooks Threlfall, Twenty-six great migration colonists to New England & their origins (Madison, Wisconsin: John Brooks Threlfall, 1993) has been digitized and is accessible via FamilySearch.org.The specific URL for the PDF is...
Critical corrections to Dunkle from Threlfall include the following:
* It was James-3 ANDREWS (James-2, Samuel-1) who married Sarah-2 MITTON (Michael-1).
* Sarah-2 (MITTON) ANDREWS died without issue so the identity of the second wife of James-3 ANDREWS (and the mother of his daughter, Jemima) is unknown.
* Michael-1 & Elizabeth (CLEEVE) MITTON had no daughter named Dorcas.
* The origins of Dorcas, wife of James-2 ANDREWS (Samuel-1), are unknown.
For other corrections to Dunkle, see also:
* David L. Greene, FASG, “Correspondence,” Genealogist 3 (1982): 263-4
* Nathaniel Lane Taylor, FASG, “the bearth of all my Children was... (Andrews–Mackworth),” (15 December 2008), an entry in his blog, A Genealogist’s Sketchbook (http://nltaylor.net/sketchbook/archives/210)
Unfortunately, Robert Charles Anderson, George F. Sanborn Jr., and Melinde Lutz Sanborn, The Great Migration: Immigrants to New England, 1634–1635, 7 vols. (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1999–2011), 1:56-8 did not include any of Greene’s corrections or Threlfall’s corrections to Dunkle (which were available) nor any of Taylor’s corrections to Dunkle (which were not yet available).
I am sharing these corrections with you and many others in hopes that awareness of the same will ultimately lead to identifying the true origins of Dorcas (-----) ANDREWS. Consequently, the purpose and scope of the "Cleeve mtDNA" Project has been revised to focus exclusively on Dorcas (-----) ANDREWS and her umbilical descendants.For more information, please visit the new project page at...
Perry Streeter ([email protected])