Andrew Clemens - sand artist - McGregor Iowa
I work as a librarian at the McGregor Public Library, the home of Andrew Clemens. We have many articles about his sand art. What we wish we had was more information about his life and his family, and information from relatives with family memories. We have a photograph of Andrew as a young man, but none of his family or of him in his childhood.
* Andrew's parents were Johann and Margaretha (Wolf) Clemens. * Johann was born in Ediger, Prussia Feb. 24, 1824
* Margaretha Wolf was born in Schotten, Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, Oct. 28, 1828
* Johann was 27 and Margaretha was 23 when they traveled to America. Johann's two brothers were also on the ship: Joseph and Matias Clemens
*Johann and Margaretha had six sons:
* John Joseph Clemens born Dec 22, 1852 in Milwaukee, WI
* August Clemens born in 1854 in Dubuque, IA
* Andrew Clemens born Jan. 29, 1857 in Dubuque, IA
* Albert Clemens born Dec. 12, 1859 in McGregor, IA
* Oscar Eduard Clemens born June 30, 1863 in McGregor, IA
* Frank Emil Clemens born April 23, 1865 in McGregor, IA
Andrew was very ill when he was five years old. He lost his hearing due to high fever. As a adolescent he began to create sand art in display bottles. In his lifetime, people were amazed by his ability, and his bottles were already prized. He died at age 37.
Thank you, Michelle Pettit, McGregor Public Library