Tugaloo Baptist Church founded in 1789 / Rev. John Cleveland
"Tugaloo Baptist Church, established before 1789 by the Rev. John Cleveland is the oldest church in what was then Franklin County, Georgia.
The county covered an area in Georgia and South Carolina about the size of Rhode Island.
The church has been called "The Mother Church" of Baptist churches in the area.
Cleveland was to become known as "The Father of Baptist Principles."
He and the Rev. Thomas Gilbert represented what was then known as Tugaloo River Church when the Tugaloo Baptist Association was formed in 1818."