My grandchildren are descendants of Harry Glenn Summers (no dates) and Margaret Patricia Cosgrove (1902-1958).
All my information about Harry's and Margaret's ancestors is guesswork.If you are close to this line, perhaps you can confirm or correct some of my assumptions.
1. Margaret's death certificate says her father's name was James.The only logical James I can find in the 1880 Census is the one born 1876 in KY.I assume he is the same James who is listed as a boarder in the 1920 and 1930 census, and died 20 Feb 1937 according to KY death records.Is this all correct?
2. If the above is correct, then James would be the son of James Cosgrove (b. Ireland 1830) and Mary McBreen.I infer Mary's maiden name from James' "mother-in-law" in the 1880 Census, Margaret McBreen (b. Ireland 1815).Do you have any further information on the McBreens?
3. I can't find any more about the immigrant James (b. Ireland 1830), but I find one George C. Cosgrove, Pvt., 2nd KY Volunteer Inf., a veteran of the Mexican War.Is this a brother of James?
4. Making several leaps of logic from possibly-connected families in the Census, I suspect that Margaret Cosgrove's mother was Nellie, born 1885 in KY or OH to Irish parents.Do you know any more about Nellie?
5. As for the Summers surname, all I have are the probable first names and approximate birthadates of Harry's parents, James L., born OH 1861 and Cora M., born OH 1864.I infer this from what is probably Harry's census record as a boy in the 1910 and 1920 Census, but I can't be positive because I don't know Harry's birthdate from any source outside the Census.If he is the same as the boy in the Census, he was born about 1901.
6. The only logical James Summers I can find in the 1880 Census is "Jamie," age 19, living in Clinton County OH, son of Ann Summers, born 1836.Is that the right family?Do you know any more about Ann?
There's lots more I could ask about these families, but this will do for a start.I hope at least some of them aren't blind alleys.
Hope you can help.Thanks for the reply.
Jim Ross Grandfather of 2 Summers/Cosgrove descendants