This is what I have so far on William Carlton Cozens.I haven't researched this line in a few years and I probably have some more information to add in my stacks all around my computer!So your John Cozens born 1815 could be my William Carlton Cozens son or a nephew possibly it looks like?Do you know any of John's siblings?I believe my William Carlton Cozens had these children---Mary, Sarah and Joseph.
1. William Carlton Cozens 1,2, born Abt. 1780 in Maryland; died Abt. 1842 in Marlborough Township, Stark County, Ohio. He married (1) Martha Jones 3 April 22, 1808 in Columbiana County, Ohio4. She was born Abt. 1783 in Virginia5, and died Abt. 1864 in Stark County, Ohio.
Notes for William Carlton Cozens:
William & Martha Cozens were one of the first settlers of Stark County, Ohio.
William Carlton Cozens, died in Marlborough Township, Stark County, where he had a large farm. After his death in 1842, this was divided among his children.
Harrod Heritage by Gertrude Norcross...
Mary (Cozens) Norcross father, William Carlton Cozens, died in Marlborough Township, Stark county, where he had a large farm. After his death in 1842, this was divided among the children and Mary had used her share of the sale to buy property in Henry County, where she and her husband, Aaron Gaskill Norcross, had gone between 1840 and 1845. They were in Portage County in 1840 just north of Stark County.
The little town where Aaron and Mary Norcross lived was known as "Texas". (There is also a "Florida" along the river and it too is still on today's maps of Henry County, Ohio) Damascus was the first township in the county organized in 1846. Damascus Township in Henry county was where Aaron and Mary Norcross established their home and raised their children. Because of the river, the area north of the Maumee River where they lived became Washington Township in later years.
Notes for Martha Jones:
1850 Ohio, Stark County, Marlboro Township Census Taken October 31,1850
Michael Boston 25 born in Ohio, Farmer & Sawyer
Sarah age 24
Louisa Boston age 1
Martha Cozens age 67 born in Virginia
More About Martha Jones:
Residence: October 31, 1850, Marlboro Township, Stark County, Ohio6
1. Harrod Heritage.
2. Portage County, Ohio Biographical Sketches, Warner Beers & Co., 1885-reprinted 1993, page 790, Joseph C. Cozens biography.
3. 1850 Ohio, Stark County, Marlboro Township Census, Marlboro Township taken on October 31, 1850. Martha Cozens age 67, born in Virginia, residing with Michael Boston age 25 Farmer/Sawyer born in Ohio, Sarah (wife) age 24 born in Ohio, Louisa Boston age 1 born in Ohio.
4. Gateway to the West, Vol. 1.
5. 1850 Ohio, Stark County, Marlboro Township Census, Estimated year of birth and place.
6. 1850 Ohio, Stark County, Marlboro Township Census, Martha Cozens enumerated with daughter & son-in-law, Michaeel & Sarah Boston.
Here are his known (to me) children below
Descendants of William Carlton Cozens
1 William Carlton Cozens b: Abt. 1780 in Maryland d: Abt. 1842 in Marlborough Township, Stark County, Ohio
.. +Martha Jones b: Abt. 1783 in Virginia d: Abt. 1864 in Stark County, Ohio
........ 2 Mary Cozens b: February 01, 1812 in Stark County, Ohio d: November 03, 1888 in Texas, Henry County, Ohio
............ +Aaron Gaskill Norcross b: February 14, 1811 in Burlington County, New Jersey d: April 24, 1870 in McClure, Henry County, Ohio
........ 2 Sarah Cozens b: Abt. 1826 in Ohio d: Unknown
............ +Michael Boston b: Abt. 1825 in Ohio d: Unknown
........ 2 Joseph C. Cozens b: September 06, 1824 in Marlboro, Stark County, Ohio d: February 25, 1903 in Stark County, Ohio
............ +Barbara Boston b: June 09, 1834 in Columbiana County, Ohio d: April 28, 1915 in Stark County, Ohio
My line is thru his daughter, Mary Cozens, who married Aaron Gaskill Norcross.