After 4 days and 23 hours at the Surry Co, Va archives and studying 15 original documents on this family I have come to the conclusion that Noah Barefoot could not have possibly married Joane Creed, nor that Martin Johnson could possibly have married Grace Beckwith... 1. Deed Book 2, pg 88 dated 7/7/1675 has 2 deeds of gift from Grace Creed Warren, widow of Ralph Creed, and Elizabeth Hogwood d/o Ralph and Grace Creed to Maudlin Creed Beckwith's 2 "orphan" daughters Grace and Elizabeth Beckwith. Both are stated as underage and unmarried.
2. Deeds and Wills #3, pg 88 dated 7/22/1686 Martin Johnson "natural affection I have for my granddaughter Hollera Barefoot the daughter of Noah Barefoot" impression... it is mathematically impossible for Grace Beckwith, an unmarried minor in 1677, to have married Martin Johnson and have a living granddaughter by 1686, 11 years later. Grace Beckwith did not marry Martin Johnson. In fact, she is very near the same age as Martin's daughter Grace Johnson who married Noah Barefoot. Who, then, DID Martin Johnson marry?
1. Deed Book 1 pg 311 9/1668 Debts demanded of Raphael Creed's Estate... of 19 creditors only 2 were stated paid in full prior to this document: Col. Swann 304 and Martin Johnson 900. Francis Hogwood (h/o Elizabeth Creed) had been paid 180 of his 400 owed.
2. Deeds and Wills2, pg 114 4/18/1676. Edward Warren's will states his desire to be buried beside his "loving wife Grace Creed" and leaves her wardrobe to his "fower daughters in law & Johney (Joane) to have her first choice." He then leaves the balance of his estate to his "Sonn in Law William Creed" As a memorandum 3 days later he leaves his "weareing cloaths" to Martin Johnson.
3. Deeds & Wills 4, pg 35, 1/15/1688 William Creed's will leaves his entire estate to his executors Noah Barefoot (100 a. and personal items) and David Andrews (50 a. and personal items) His only living sibling at this time is Mary Creed Andrews, David's wife and possibly Maudlin who would now be married to her 3rd husband John Warren. Why Noah Barefoot? This is where the erroneous presumption of Noah married to Joane creed started.
4. Book 5, pg 274, 3/12/1703 Martin Johnson's will names his children: Martin, Elizabeth, Grace, Thomas, William and John. He leaves a bequest to his godsons John Andrews and William Howell. Teste by David Andrews. Proven 5/4/1703.
Impression...It was Martin Johnson who married Joane "Johney" Creed. Joane's brother William Creed left his bequest to Noah Barefoot his executor, the husband of his neice Grace Johnson.