Paul Custer (II) b. 1710 Mont.Co.Pa. d. Nov.10,1783 Mont.Co.Pa. m. Sarah Martha Ball
Ancient Lutheran Church: About 8 miles SE from "the Swamp" is one of the earliest churches. Trappe, or the Trap, is a small village inhabited principally by people of German descent, and who still speak that language. Church erected 1743 by Rev. H. M. Muhlenberg. He was b. Hanover, Germany 6 Sep 1711. He arrived in Philadelphia in Nov. 1742.
"that at the Trappe, of about 50 members who worshipped in a barn."
From 1720 down to the arrival of Mr. Muhlenberg, great numbers of Germans had emigrated to PA and other provinces with a view of enjoying unmolested their religous opinions.
In 1774, leaving his son, Henry in charge at Philadelphia, Melchoir returned to the "Trappe", where he resided until his death Oct 1787.
Buried in the rear, and nr. southeastern angle of the church, is grave of Father Muhlenberg.
The singular name is said to have been derived from an old tavern, one of the first houses in the place" The high flight of steps, or treppe, as they are called in German.
Rev. Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, the father of the Lutheran church in the U. S.
Pg. 486-488. "Historical Collection of PA"
Montgomery Co., PA
Other old taverns were
1.Mt. Nebo, Casselman Hotel,
Elizabeth Durst (10/10/1794-8/1/1864), daughter of Lightfoot John Durst, married Solomon Sterner (8/28/1798-12/31/1851), son of Michael Sterner (Starner), a Revolutionary War Veteran.
They built and operated the Casselman Hotel in Grantsville. Daughter Mary (3/24/1817-1/23/1862) lived with Durst grandparents and used the surname "Durst", married John Custer (12/8/1808-4/20/1865), grandson of Emanuel Custer.
The name RINGLER does not appear (that I can see) on the 1816 map, but it is on the 1876 map.In 1876 there were two - both on the north side directly by a road which seems to be Route #304 in the town of Stonetown district, a William RINGLER and a John RINGLER.On the 1816 map the CUSTARD name appears just beside an Indian trail with a road beside it. and just around the corner from what later becomes the site of Rt. 304 where the RINGLER names appear. There are no first names on the 1816 map - just possessive case surnames, so it appears as Custard's.It is directly above a place identified as "Maurer's Inn" which is on the same Indian trail and runs alongside the Perkiomen Turnpike.
2. Anne Miller: White Horse Tavern? Peters Twp., Montgomry Co., PA, 5th Dist.
Somerset Herald - White Horse Tavern, 27 Jan 1829, Reports "White Horse Tavern, 14 miles from Somerset, six miles from Berlin, atop Allegheny Mountain offered for sale in estate of Adam Miller, by executors, Jacob G. Miller and Josiah Miller."
From the Musser Family History, published 1930, it is recorded that "Tobias ...?
Rev. Peter Muhlenberg was General of servicemen at Ft. Pitt. 1746-1807.
George & John Custer were at Ft. McIntosh.
George owned land at Hog Nest. N.C.?
>Deed Book WR4-1, recorded 3 April 1783 at the request of John Grossnickle
>Indenture dated 3 ___ 1783 between Andrew Levenstine of Frederick Co., farmer, and John Grossnickle of the same, farmer consideration: 67 pounds, 10 shillings specie paid by John Grossnickle; part of a tract of land called "Hog Nest" etc. (description follows--mentions George Custer's part of said land), containing 30 acres
Witnesses: Jacob Young, Thos. Gantt Jr.
"Andres Levenstein" signed in old German script
The Somerset Co., Penna., Livingston Family
Does your Paul Kuster fit this line? is he a Palatine?