Hi Jillone,I have info on your IN Darrahs.They go back to Thomas Darrah b 1765-1770 in IRE (according to his son Wm's death rec) or GER, (based on a pair of wooden shoes passed down through the family supposed to be his).He d after 1830.He m before 1808 to Mary Stewart b 1765-1770 in PA (source son Wm's death rec) or NJ (source dau Deb's death rec).She d between 1816-1830. They resided in Bedford Co., PA in Dublin and Air twp. This area later became Fulton Co.,PA.
Their known children were:
1. Thomas Wood Darrah, b 1808 Bedford Co., PA d 1850 Randolph Co., IN, m Martha Severns in Hunterdon Co., NJ.He was a stonemason.
2. William Wood Darrah, b 22 May 1810, Bedford Co PA, d 22 May 1810 Randolph Co, IN. According to their obits he m 15 Jul 1840 Preble Co., OH Mary Melissa Graham. No marriage is recorded in Preble Co for them.Mary b. 3 Jul, 1825 Preble Co., OH, d 26 Aug, year not stated in obit in IL.Her father was probably John Graham.
William Wood Darrah resided 1840 New Paris, OH; 1850 Winchester, Randolph Co, IN; 1860 Champaign Co., IL; 1870 Livingston Co., IL.In 1849 he signed a petition to have the voting place changed from Winchester to outside the city due to a "plague", possibly cholera.His death was recorded on the 1870 mortality schedule for Randolph Co., IN. William was listed as a master carpenter on the IL census. He died at his son Joseph C Darrah's residence.
3. Deborah Wood Darrah b. 20 Jul 1816 Bedford Co., PA d 28 Dec 1899 Winchester, Randolph Co., IN, m 23 Jan 1856 to Henry Miller by Andrew Loose, Presbyterian min. They were charter members of the Presbyterian church organized in 1881 in Winchester. She resided in NJ 1843, Randolph Co., IN from 1850.
William and Mary Melissa (Graham) Darrah had the following ch:
1. Joseph C Darrah b 1845 New Paris, Preble Co., OH d 28 Sep 1893 Chicago, Cook Co., IL, m Mary Elizabeth Miller.
2. Cinderella Caroline Darrah b 1844 d bef 1923 m John Mercer
3. Aloana Darrah, a daughter b 1849, on the 1850 census not on 1860 census.
4. Thomas Wood Darrah b 11 Oct 1850
5. John Randall Darrah
6. William Curtis Darrah
Joseph C Darrah m Mary Elizabeth Miller b 1 Sep 1849 Gratis twp. Preble Co., OH d 20 May 1937 Winchester, Randolph Co., IN m 3 Apr 1878 Winchester. They had the following ch:
1. Jesse Claude Darrah
2. William Henry Darrah
3. Joseph Wood Darrah
4. Fred Miller Darrah
5. Leonard Carlisle Darrah (This would be your gr grandfather, Mary Ellen's father)
6. Martha Jane (Jennie) Darrah.
Joseph died after falling from a scaffold for a building he was helping to construct for the World's Fair, also called the Columbian Expositon, Chicago. IL. After his death Mary Elizabeth returned to Winchester, IN.
Mary Elizabeth (Miller) Darrah was the daughter of Henry Miller b 09 Sep 1809 Wurtemberg, Germany, d 4 Apr 1899 Winchester, INand Elizabeth Ann Styles. (Ann Styles from the marriage rec., Elizabeth Styles from daughter's death rec) Elizabeth Ann was b PA, d bet 1850 and 1856 in Preble Co., OH or Randolph Co., IN. They were married 18 Aug 1843 Preble Co., OH by Jesse Stubbs, JP Bk 1 p 32. Their children were:
1. James Miller
2. John Miller
3. Mary Elizabeth Miller
Henry married 2nd Deborah Wood Darrah. They had no children.