Fly came to Tombstone in December of 1879 from California.He was one of six sons of Boon and Mary Ann (Percival) Fly who came west by covered wagon from Andrew County, Missouri, in 1849. The Flys first settled in Santa Rosa, but in 1855 purchased a tract of land consisting of about 1000 acres in the southwestern part of Napa County, California.Here, on September 29, 1879, at the age of thirty, Fly married Mary E. Goodrich.
When glowing reports of the Tombstone prospects reached California, Fly packed up his gear and with his young bride headed for the new camp, arriving there in the same year Tombstone's Nugget turned loose its first newsprint and five months before John P. Clum established the Epitaph.Tombstone was emerging from a tent camp into a town with a few frame, adobe or brick buildings when the Flys arrived in December, 1879.This was but a relatively short time after Ed Schieffelin had made his original strike in late 1877.
Blessed with an industrious wife, C.S.Fly build a roominghouse at 312 Fremont Street and a small photograph gallery connected to it by a passageway.
Through the years a number of interesting people roomed at Fly's.It is said that Big Nose Kate, the sometime subject of J. H. (Doc) Holliday's tempestuous affections, once roomed there.The Flys were very respectable people, however, and it is doubtful that any improper activities were knowingly permitted.With her husband often absent on field trips, Mrs. Fly felt more secure by having roomers in the house, and certainly needed the revenue.