My FURSE family
The following is a documentation of my line of the FURSE family.I would be happy to provide further details (where possible) and welcome additional information from anyone who may be able to help.
Philip FURSE (Spreyton, Devon, England)
married Elizabeth Clarke on July 16, 1674
1. John - christened 1675 - Spreyton
2. Thomas - christened 1677 - Spreyton
3. Philip - christened 1678 - Spreyton
4. Marmaduke - christened 1680 - Spreyton
5. Walter - christened 1682 - Spreyton
6. Henry - christened 1684 - Spreyton -
7. William - christened 1686 - Spreyton
JOHN FURSE married Joanna Averay in 1702.Their three children were christened at St. Edmunds' Church, Dolton, Devon
a) Ann - Feb. 23, 1704/05
b) Thomas - 1707
c) Philip - May 31, 1709died Mar 16. 1774
PHILIP married Mary NICHOLS on Mar 7, 1736 or 37 in Northam, Devon
1 - Mary - christened June 12, 1839 - St. Edmunds
PHILIP then married Grace WELLINGTON (daughter of Peter Wellington and Elizabeth ???on April 25, 1744.
1. Elizabeth - 1745
2. Mary 1745/6
3. John 1749
4. Elizabeth - 1751
5. Philip - 1753
6. Revd. Peter Wellington FURSE - Dec. 23, 1755 - died Feb. 8, 1832
7. Thomas - 1758
REVEREND PETER WELLINGTON FURSE - married Mary JOHNSON - (daughter of William Johnson and Elizabeth REYNOLDS
a) Theresa Johnson - 1790 married Charles William JOHNSON - son of Daniel JOHNSON and Bridget CORY -***
b) Wellington - 1791
c) Elizabeth 1793
d) John Henry - 1795 married Anna Sohpia BULLER - daughter of Richard and Anna Sophia MARSHALL
***children of Theresa FURSE and Charles JOHNSON are
1. John Furse JOHNSON - 1812 - died 1817
2. Sarah - 1817 - died 1902
3. Mary Theresa - 1815 died 1873 - marriedREVD. Francis VIDAL **
(this is my line making this couple my 5x great grandparents)
4. Charles Wellington FURSE - 1821 - 1900 (this man changed his surname later in life and took his mother's maiden name of FURSE)
5 William Johnson CORY - 1823 - 1892 - this man also changed his name taking his grandmother's maiden name - CORY.
6. Fanhny Sophia - died 1845
7. Ellen - 1824 -
8. Elizabeth Reynolds - 1831 - 1836
This is the basic line with other additions of the surnames - YONGE, MONSELL, BARNETT, and others.
My line of Mary Theresa JOHNSON and Francis VIDAL - went to Australia for a few years.Mary was an author who wrote several books.You can find some of her work on line.Her brother William CORY - was also a noted author.Mary's daughter Lily married Edward Daniel Stone.They had 10 children - one of whom was Christopher STONE - the noted first disc jockey of the BBC in London, England.His sister Faith Nona STONE married Sir Edward Montague Compton Mackenzie - noted author.She also wrote several books under the name Faith Compton Mackenzie.
Their brother Guy Ironside STONE was my great grandfather and the only one of this family to come to CANADA.
Regards to all, and please be in touch if you feel that any of this may connect with your FURSE line.
Dale Margery Lupish - Rutherford