Miss. Lena Gale ~ Moulton, Appanoose County, Iowa
Sioux Valley News
Correctionville, Woodbury, Iowa
January 7, 1898
IOWA STATE NEWS
- A very sad incident occurred four miles northeast of Moulton a short time ago when Miss Lena Gale committed suicide. It is said that the young lady and Mr. Alva Gan, a young man living in the same neighborhood, had gone together for a number of years, and she had become very much in love with him. Mr. Gan married another girl and the great disappointment to Miss Gale is the alleged cause of her suicide. The young people are all of the very best families in that neighborhood and are very highly esteemed by their friends. Miss Gale has taught school most
successfully for a number of years.
- Fire in the business portion of Osceola destroyed the buildings of E. Percells, grocery; Frank Edwards, cigar shop; J.B. Banta, real estate, Long & Winters, meat market; McAnley Lumber company; Frank Edwards, lunch counter; J.G. Watts, jewelry store; A.L. Lash, shoe store; Wixom & Hargrover, lunch counter. This is the third time that part of the town has been laid low by the fire fiend. The loss is placed at about $10,000 and was about half insured.
- John F. Jackson, a farmer near Avoca, has a horse that is 41 years old and is probably the oldest horse in the United
States. Mr. Jackson feels very grateful to the old animal for it once saved his life. While herding cattle in western
Nebraska in 1864 he was attacked by Indians and the horse carried him out of danger by its fleetness.
- A party of twenty-five or thirty friends of C.S. Harrison living near Tabor, gave him a happy surprise one day recently by slipping into his corn fields and husking and cribbing over 1,000 bushels of corn for him. He was laid up by illness and because of that the husking bee was given him.
- Mrs. Emerine Kenedy, one of the pioneers of Dubuque, is dead, aged 75 years. She has been a resident of that city for fifty-five years and was a sister of the late Judge King, who established the first newspaper in the northwest.
- The first Methodist church at La Porte City has been dedicated by Dr. E.J. Ives of Auburn, N.Y., the great church
dedicator. The seating capacity of the church is 650.
- E.B. Linehan has received a contract from the West Memphis Packet company to build a $19,000 iron hull steamer. It means the opening of the Iowa Iron works at Dubuque.
- A rich vein of coal three and a half feet in thickness, has been discovered in new territory near Ottumwa. The coal is hard and unexcelled for steam making.
- E.M. Parsons has a contract to furnish the Mexican government 65,000 bushels of corn at $1.67 per bushel laid down in the City of Mexico.
- Morris & Co. jewelers at Mt. Pleasant were damaged by fire. The show window caught fire from a gas jet and the contents and plate glass were destroyed.
- Prompted by jealousy, Mrs. Lewis Marsh of Cedar Rapids, swallowed four ounces of carbolic acid and a pint and a half of whisky, dying in terrible agony.
- Fred Gephardt of Tama county had his skull fractured by being jerked from his buggy by an unruly colt that he was trying to load.
- The postoffice at Finis, Henry county, has been discontinued, mail will go to Rome.
- C.C. Spaulding has been appointed postmaster at Horton, Bremer county.
Posted at this site with Cathy's permission
Cathy Joynt Labath
Iowa Old Press