I have been searching the internet to see if I could find the parents of William Gough, who was born in England and is head of my line of Gough's. Here is some of the information that I found on the internet.
1. William Goffe was born in Sussex, England in 1605, son of a rector of Stamner, England, a Purtanical Minister. William Goffe died in 1679 in U.S.A.
2. William Gough was born in England in 1605. He was married to Martha Baxter (1610-1670) and had four children: William Gough Jr. born 1630; Martha Gough, born 1640; and twins Robert and Thomas Goffe, born 1645. Thomas Goffe married Margaret Arnold in 1670 and had four children. William Gough and his family are believed to have sailed to America on the ship Amitee in 1635.
3. 7 Oct 1658, William Gough patented 1,000 acres of land in New Kent Co. VA for transporting 20 persons. Ref "Goff/Gough, Their Ancestors & Descendants" Martha Goffe patented 650 acres land formerly granted to Wm. Gough by patent 22 July 1659 and by Wm. Assigned to John Maddison and assigned by Maddison to Martha Goffe, 8 Feb 1663. William Goffe and Martha had the folllowing children. Thomas Goffe/Gough, William Goffe/Gough, Martha Goffe/Gough. Robert Goffe/Gough.
4. William Goffe, Jr., born 1650 - New Kent, Virginia, Spouse Alice Thacker, Parents William Goffe Sr. birth abt 1605-England, spouse: Martha Baxter.
5. March 26, 1677 - William Gough was granted 500 acres of land in Calvert Co. Md. (Liber 19,433). When William Gough died 5/18/1679, he willed an estate of 800 acres to his wife Hester. 500 of these acres had been given to William 3/26/1677, in Calvert Co. Md.
1. William Gough and William Goffe were both born in 1605. William Gough and Martha Baxter had four children, two were given the last name Gough, two were given the last name Goffe. Could William Goffe and William Gough be the same person?(Ref 1,2, & 4 above)
2. Martha Goffe patented 650 acres of land formerly granted to Wm. Gough. Was this land granted to William Gough or William Goffe, or could they be the same person? Ref.3 above).
3. William Gough Jr. born 1630, and William Goffe Jr. born 1650 in New Kent, VA. must have the same Father and Mother (Ref 2 & 4 above). If this is true then William Gough Jr. and William Goffe Jr. are full brothers.
4. William Gough died 5/18/1679, same year as William Goffe (Ref 1 & 5 above). Did this just happen that way, or were they the same person?
5. Family records show that William Gough was in Maryland in 1664. William Goffe assigned his land in Virginia over to Martha Goffe, 8 Feb 1663, land that he had patented under the name William Gough. Could he have uses the name William Goffe while in Virginia and became William Gough when he moved to Maryland in 1664? (Ref 3 & 5 above).
I need help from some of the Gough's, Goffe's or Goff's with this. This Genealogy business gets me to thinking sometimes that I could be "My Own Grandpa" J.W.G.