GRIERSON HILL, named after Edward "Del" Grierson
Named after EDWARD “Del” Grierson.
“Located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada was named in 1973, after Del Grierson. He was born in Scotland, grew up on a farm in North Dakota and came to Edmonton in the 1890s by CPR. When he helped build the CPR this far, he decided to stay. He owned a lot of property along East Jasper Avenue from time to time, Grierson Hill for example; he gave his name to the Delton subdivision, and served a number of terms on City Council.”
“Concerning Grierson Hill, it appears the hill was named for Edmund (also referred to as Edward) Del Grierson. He owned the Queen’s Hotel, long since demolished, which sat on the site overlooking today’s Grierson Hill.
Also known as Ed or Del Grierson, he was born in Cavan, East Durham, Ontario, Canada in 1861 and died in Victoria, B.C on March 4th, 1922. We don’t know when he came to Edmonton but the family was considered area pioneers. We do know he purchased the Queen’s Hotel in 1892 with partner Fred Jackson. Later he bought out his partner’s interests and built the Alberta Hotel at the turn of the century. It is interesting to note that parts of the facade of the Alberta Hotel sit in storage in an engineer’s yard in Edmonton awaiting either reconstruction or incorporation into a new structure.
DEL GRIERSON married LOLA BOOTH in 1904 and they moved to Victoria in 1909. It appears Del had several brothers and sisters.
(1)Charles H. Grierson, a farmer,
(2)Robert W. Grierson, real estate agent,
(3)P. Grierson who had a mining interest in Montana,
(4)Mrs. J. J. Campbell,
(5)Mrs. C. E. Johnson,
(6)Mrs. J. W. Smith.
Robert Grierson’s house in the Highlands district of Edmonton has been designated a Provincial Historic Resource.
Source: (1) Notes of Russell Grierson in response to his inquiries in 1998.