Re: Herridge History
Following on from William Tuckey's respons, I have a common great grandfather with him, so this may be of interest too.
William Edgar HERRIDGE was born in 1871 and Elizabeth Hamor GITTENS was a schoolmistress when they married in 1905.
William had 4 brothers and two sisters.
1. Hubert Charles (1873) who married Margaret Craig ARBUCKLE in 1912 and they had a daughter, Agnes Craig in 1926.Hubert and his brother, John migrated to Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada in about 1919 to buy and run a farm there, but John had to return in about 1924 when his wife fell ill with cancer.If anyone has any information on Hubert's line and Agnes, I would be interested to hear.
2. John (my grandfather) (1875) who married Helen HOPKINS from Hamoon in
Dorset in 1915.They had 2 sons, Ronald John (1917 – WW2) and my dad, Cecil William (1921 – 1981).He married Marta-Anne Globertin 1947 and had me, Vernon Edgar in 1954 and Stuart Mark in 1959.I have two boys with my wife, Lynn Sara STRANGE (married 1977), Graham John (1980) and Neil William (1983).My brother married Anne SEYMOUR in 1987 and they have a daughter, Kimberley Joanne.
3. Selwyn Norton (1879 – 1880)
4. Florence Emily (1881 - ?)
5. Catherine Mary (1883 - ).Married Sidney KIRKBY, a farmer in Lyndon Canada.She later remarried (I believe) a Reverend Kenneth King in Vancouver, Canada.He lived to see his century.
6. Edward Bertram (1885) who lived with Florence in Burnham on Sea in Somerset, England.Both married, and Bertram had had polio as a child and was confined to a wheelchair.Bessie Norton (Betty) Herridge looked after them both for the last few years of their lives and stayed there until she died just before Christmas, 1999.
Their father, William (1843 – 1883) of Lower Farm, Kingston Magna married Martha Jane HANNAM of Horsington.(Quite how William died in 1883 yet had Bertram in 1885 is, as yet, a mystery!).He is the common relative that I have with William P Tuckey, being our Great Grandfather.William’s brothers and sisters were:
1. Mary (1840 – 1913) married William BRACHER.No children.
2. Matilda Norton (1841 – 1906) married Alfred FYSON.No children.
3. Charity (1845) married Joseph PADFIELD.No children.
4. Charles (1846) married Annie COX.They had 5 children:Alice, Edith, Hester, Leonard, and Elsie.
5. Emma (1849) married Henry PENNY then John WADMAN.No children with either husband.
6. Elizabeth Raymond (1851 – 1886) married William Haine PADFIELD.No children.
7. Ebenezer (1852) married Amelia COX.They had 6 children: Mabel Emily, Laura Anne, Margaret Amelia, Charity Norton, Charles and Heywood.
8. Edward (1855) married Mary Elizabeth WELFORD.They had 6 children:Dorothy Mary, Kathleen Welford, Edward Raymond, Bernard Hugh, Geoffrey Howard, and Cuthbert Norton Charles.
Their father was Charles (1811 – 1896) of Sticklinch (1851) and then Horsington Marsh (1871).He married Charity Norton (1811- 1889).His siblings were Mary,Anne, Elizabeth, William, John and Jane.
Their father was William HERRIDGE (1770 – 1839) of Marsh Court, Wincanton who married Elizabeth RAYMOND of Kington Magna.He had a brother, Bernard who was Steward of the Thrings.(Anybody know what this meant?)
Finally, their father was William who married Edith.
This is obviously not complete either in terms of names on the family tree which have not all been mentioned here, but it is the story of the people afterwards, so if anyone can fill in any dates, please get in touch.