The Life of the Rev. Elisha Macurdy: with an appendix containing brief Notices of Various Deceased Ministers of the Presbyterian Church in Western Pennsylvania
Author: Elliott, David
Allegheny: Kennedy & Brother, Federal Street
Philadelphia: William S. Martien, No. 37, South Seventh Street, 1848
The REV. GEORGE HILL was born in York County, Pa., March 13, 1764.When about 19 years of age, he moved, with his father and family, to Fayette County, and settled within the bounds of the congregation of George's Creek.His literary studies were prosecuted chiefly, if not entirely, under the direction of the Rev. James Dunlap, pastor of Laurel Hill and Dunlap's Creek congregations.It is affirmed by some aged persons yet living, that he studied Theology under the Rev. Jacob Jennings, which is probably correct.He entered the Presbytery of Redstone as a candidate for the ministry, April 23, 1790, and was licensed Dec. 22, 1791, at the church of Bethel, in Indiana County, where the Rev. Joseph W. Henderson was afterward settled.At the next spring meeting of the Presbytery, calls were presented for his pastoral labors from the united congregations of Fairfield, Donegal and Wheatfield, and from Mill Creek and King's Creek.The former he accepted, and was ordained and installed their pastor on Nov. 13, 1792.On April 11, 1798 he resigned his charge of Wheatfield, and a new congregation called Ligonier having been formed between Fairfield and Donegal, he continued to labor in these three last named churches until the time of his death, which took place June 9, 1822.
MR. HILL had to expose himself frequently to considerable (pg. 258) danger in fulfilling his engagements on the Sabbath.Having to cross the Conemaugh in going to one of his places of preaching, he has been known, in time of high water, to swim the river on horseback, preach in his wet clothes, recross the river and return to his own house, a distance of ten miles, on the same day.
Although during most of his life he had enjoyed excellent health, in his last illness he suffered much.And, almost the last words which he spoke were, “I know in whom I have believe.”The REV. GEORGE HILL, of the Presbytery of Blairsville, is his grandson.
History of Fayette County, Pennsylvania: with biographical sketches..
Author: Ellis, Franklin, 1828-1885
Philadelphia: L. H. Everts & Co., 1882
COL. ALEXANDER M. and COL. ALEXANDER J. HILL
ALEXANDER J. HILL, of Dunbar, a portrait of whom appears in these pages, would have preferred that a picture representing his late father, COL. ALEXANDER M. HILL, be presented in its stead.ALEXANDER J. HILL is at present principally occupied with the superintendency of the works of the Rainey Bank Coal and Coke Company, at Fort Hill, East Liberty, Fayette Co.; and is popularly known as “COL.” A. J. HILL, but says that the title is not his by right of any military commission.
COL. ALEXANDER McCLELLAND HILL was the son of REV. GEORGE HILL, who was pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Ligonier Valley, Westmoreland Co.He was of Scotch-Irish descent.REV. GEORGE HILL'S wife was ELIZABETH McCLELLAND, a daughter of ALEXANDER McCLELLAND, of Fayette County, after whom COL. A. M. was named.
COL. A. M. HILL died in 1863 at the age of 60 years.He was in early life a tanner, and became an extensive farmer.His father left him a small farm near Laurel Hill Church.At the time of his death he possessed a farm lying in Dunbar Township of about 350 acres, of which probably six-sevenths part is underlain with coking coal; and of another farm of a 189 acres, all coal land; and of another (now owned by the Dunbar Furnance Company) of a 130 acres.
COL. A. M. HILL was one of the earliest advocates of the extension of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad through Fayette County, a recognized leader of the railroad party.He was among the pioneers of coke manufacture in the county, making it in pits in the ground and shipping it to Pittsburgh before coke ovens were erected in Fayette County.He was twice a member of the State Legislature, representing the district of Fayette and Westmoreland Counties (1851-52); and in 1854 was the regular Democratic candidate for the State Senate from his district, but was beaten under a conspiracy of circumstances not affecting his popularity by William E. Frazer (Native American).In 1860 he was again a candidate for the Senate, but ran against Dr. Smith Fuller, and was again defeated.As a legislator, COL. HILL is said to have been excellent.
GENERAL ALEXANDER McCLELLAN, a very prominent citizen of Springhill Township, purchased lot No. 8 in Jacob's Second Addition January 10, 1801, for $40.00.The southern boundary of this lot was Ray Street.GENERAL McCLELLAND and BATHSHEBA, his wife, conveyed this lot to Jacob Baltzell, whose heirs conveyed it to Frederick Byrer, Aug. 21, 1828.A log house stood on this lot previous to this date in which the late Mrs. Hannah Lincoln was born, Oct. 9, 1830.Mr. Byrer learned the coopering trade in Westmoreland County, and settled in Uniontown about 1818.