J. H. HOBLIT, farmer, P. O. Port William, is a grandson of Michael Hoblit, who was born in Germany, where he grew to majority and married Catharine Veigle. They came to the United States about the time of the war of Independence and located in Pennsylvania, where he devoted his time,to the potter's trade through life. He died near the close of the last century. His widow married for her second husband William Cochran, and came to Clinton County, Ohio, where she died about 1820, and he several years previous. Jesse H. is a son of William Hoblit, who was born in Pennsylvania May 19, 1783, where he grew to manhood and nobly assisted his widowed mother. He depended largely upon his own resources, and at an early age went to Lexington, Ky., where he learned the tanner and currier trade. Thence came to Ohio in 1808, and settled in what is now Clinton County, where he was drafted in the war of 1812, but furnished a substitute. Soon after coming to Ohio, he erected a tannery on the farm now owned by George Hayworth, Jr., and opened business. While there engaged, he married Margaret Shields, and continued to conduct his tannery in that building until about 1815, when he located on the farm now owned by our subject in Liberty Township, where he erected a tannery and resumed his business for many years. Success was his fortune and he became a large land-owner, endured many privations and hardships in clearing it up, but was nobly assisted by his industrious and obedient children. To his life is placed the credit of taking up a corner of the first log house erected in the present limits of Wilmington, and serving on the first jury that sat in Clinton County. The case was horse theft, tried in Jesse Hugh's barn in Union Township, and to the prisoner was given a number of lashes. These are notable events in the annals of this history. As a public man he filled many offices of trust, which were honorably filled.
1052 - BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES:
As a Christian and father he was firm and dutiful. He united with the Baptist Church in the year 1800, and was one of the few members that organized the church at Port William, then called Anderson's Fork. In 1809, he was elected Deacon, and in 1820 was one of the first subscribers to the Journal and Messenger. His death occurred December 13, 1870, after a long and useful life. Of him it could well be said, "A good man has fallen." His wife Margaret, who was a Christian companion and mother, died March 18, 1867. Their house was often the home of the pioneer ministers. They were the parents of twelve children, whom they raised in industry and virtue, eleven of whom still survive; all save one are members of the church of their parents, and one a minister of the Gospel. This noble family was blessed with health, as death never entered until it claimed Margaret for its own. Jesse H., whose name heads this biography, was born on the farm where he now resides, March 17, 1816; here he grew to majority through the early days of Clinton County, and endured all the privations subject to such a life. His time was devoted to his father's tannery and on the farm. His educational privileges were very much limited, but through industry and determination he acquired sufficient education for teaching, in which occupation he was engaged for nineteen years with but three intervening winters. During this period, September 30, 1841, he married Mary A. Shrack, a sister of W. H. Shrack, whose biography appears in this volume. Jesse H. and wife located on his farm which he had previously purchased, where they remained until 1864, when they removed to the farm where we now find them. Mr. Hoblit by name and principle is a Republican, by which party he has been elected to many township offices, which he has filled with ability and success. They are the parents of two children, viz., James H., who contracted consumption in the late war, from which he died, and Abbie A., now Mrs. J. W. Sanders.
JAMES S. HOBLIT, retired, Port William. He is a brother of Jesse H. Hoblit, whose biography appears elsewhere, and was born on the Haworth farm, in Union Township, Clinton, Ohio, August 28, 1811. He is the eldest son and devoted his minority years in his father's tannery and on the farm; became an efficient tanner and leather finisher, and largely managed his father's farm. In 1832, he married Mary S. Hussey, and settled on his farm, but shortly afterward located in Port William and opened a general retail store, which be successfully conducted nearly thirty years, and while thus engaged, he devoted some time to raising, buying and selling fine cattle. His store was the first of any consequence in the village of Port William. At organization of the First National Bank of Wilmington, he became a stockholder, and has served as one of its directors several years. His political affiliations have ever been with the Whig and Republican parties, which have intrusted to his honor nearly all the offices of his Township, which he honorably and judiciously filled. Since the charter of the Railroad, he has been one of its stockholders. Mrs. Hoblit, was born March 23, 1815, and died May 18, 1873, in the full faith of the Baptist Church, in which she and her husband had been consistent members for many years, and he the greater part of the time, a Deacon of the same.
Mrs. Catharine Jacks came into the township in 1818. She was born in Woodford County, Ky., March 15, 1795, and died in Richland Township June 25, 1880. She was the daughter of *Timothy and Betsey (*Hoblit*) Bennett*, who moved to Warren County in 1800, and to Clinton County in 1801, where they located on a farm east of Wilmington. Catharine married Joseph Doan in September, 1813, and moved with him to Indiana, where they remained until 1818, when they came to Richland Township, settling on the McClintock farm where Mr. Doan died September 2, 1825, leaving seven children. On the 7th of May, 1826, Mrs. Doan married Elkanah Jacks, by whom she had five children. Her first husband came to Richland Township from North Carolina in 1810.
John Jacks came into the township in 1818. He was born in Lawrence County, N. C., in 1777, and moved from there into South Carolina. His father was killed in the war of the Revolution. In 1802, he married Phoebe Roberds, a daughter of Freeman Roberds, of South Carolina, and in 1808 came to Ohio, landing at Cincinnati in October of that year, with his wife and two children. He afterward moved to Warren -County and settled near the town of Waynesville, where he remained until 1809, when be moved to Clinton County and located near Burtonville. He enlisted in the war of 1812, hod at its close returned to the farm. He was dispossessed of his farm through a defective title, and in February, 1819, located on land in the Posey Survey, in Richland Township, where he in 1825 built a horse-mill. In 1837, he sold his farm and removed to Indiana, where he died in February, 1869. He was the father of nine children, five boys and four girls, all of whom reached their majority. Three boys and three girls now survive, only one being a resident of Clinton County.