SGT. SIDNEY RHODES, FLT/ENG. RAFVR, SERV. #1680670
I am hoping that someone can help me.I am looking for information on the above person in relation to research I am doing in connection with #405 Pathfinder R.C.A.F. Squadron. On the night of 02 January 1945, Lancaster PB477 (LQ-B) took off from Grandsen Lodge Air bBse on a raid to Nuremberg.They never made it.The Lancaster was attacked from below by a German fighter and the plane exploded.Of the 7-man crew, only 2 survived.....Flt/Eng. Sgt. Sidney Rhodes and W/O1 D. Plyley, rear air gunner, a Canadian.Both were captured the following morning by the Germans and spent the next 5 months in Stalag Luft 1.The following is what I know of this man:
- Sidney Rhodes was born 14 March 1912.His birth is registered in Sculcoates June Qtr. 9d 358.His mother's maiden name was McQuade.
- Sidney married a Christina Gardiner in 1934.The marriage was registered Sept. Qtr. 1934 9d 336.
- I have a handwritten document from Room 3 of Stalag Luft 1 which shows Sidney Rhodes' signature and his address as 112 Tanfield Grove, Bilton Grange, Hull, Yorkshire.
- I have a letter written by Sidney Rhodes after the war to the wife of his dead ex-crew member which shows this same address.So I know I have the correct Sidney Rhodes.
- I also know that he was remustered into a regiment on return from POW Camp and was in post-war service.
- He died in July of 1985 in Bridlington.I am not sure if Sidney and his wife had children.
I am hoping that someone might know of this man or could be researching him or his descendants.He is the only one of the crew of PB477 for whom I have little information.My reason for researching the crew of #405 Sqdn?My uncle was one of the airmen who lost his life that night.
I would be so grateful for any help.
Ottawa, ON Canada