Re: John and Rhody Hunter, Stokes, NC
I also have a John Hunter from Stokes Co NC.
John William Hunter, b. Mar 16, 1789 Stokes Co NC; d. Aug 29, 1886 Lone Jack, Jackson Co Missouri; m. Jul 18, 1812 to Elizabeth Jeans, b. May 14, 1792 North Carolina; d. Oct 25,1878 Lone Jack.John's parents were David Hunter and Dorothy (reference says "natives of Virginia".)That's all I know about his parents.John owned a distillery in NC before he migrated to Missouri in April 1836.
John and Elizabeth had 9 children, but I can only account for 5 of them :
1. William John Hunter, b. 1815 NC; d.** Sept 6, 1863 Lone Jack, Jackson Co Mo; m. Jul 11, 1839 Cass County, Mo. to Mariah Spainhour.
2. Nancy Jean Hunter, b. 1819 NC; d. Dec 1905 Jackson Co Mo; m. Sep 6, 1836 to John S. Cave, b. Sep 18, 1809 Virginia; d.** Sept 6, 1863 Lone Jack, Jackson Co Mo.
3. Matilda Hunter, b. Nov 15, 1824 NC; d. Nov 13, 1900 Jackson Co Mo; m. Jun 23, 1844 to David Owsley, b. 1823 Claiborne Co Tenn; d. Jun 20, 1864 Baker's Creek/Allatoona Georgia (Civil War).
4. Berilla Hunter, b. April 8, 1831; d. 1896 Calif.She never married.
5. John David Hunter, b. Sep 28, 1832 NC; d.**Sept 6, 1863 Lone Jack, Jackson Co MO; m. Julia Potter, b. 1838.
William age 48, J. David age 32, John S. Cave age 54, Benj. Potter (Julia's father)age 75, Andrew W. Owsley (Matilda and David's oldest son)age 17, and Wm. Calvin Tate age 32 (cousin of the Hunter's) were all murdered by Federal troops called the 'Redlegs', in cold blood.All were farmers and had families, and none were armed.They were packing to leave Jackson County under Order No. 11.All residents of Jackson, Cass, Bates and part of another county were ordered to leave the counties by Sept 9, 1863; but the coward Redlegs came 3 days early and murdered these men.They were all hastily buried in one grave by John Hunter, 75 yrs old at the time.Calvin Tate's father-in-law was a spy for the Union and was the reason they were murdered.
John, David, William and Francis were all family names for my Hunter clan.Stokes County was formed the year John was born.It was formed from Surry Co.There is a will (online) in Guilford Co NC of a John Hunter Aug 29 1777.He lists a grandson John Hunter; also lists Walkers, Tate's, and Martin's as relatives (daughters married).
I'm sorry I can't help with your John Hunter, but interesting that we both have John Hunter's and Stokes isn't that big and they were born close together.Maybe they were brothers or their father's were brothers.