Amos, Jonah, Jotham, Reuben IVES family of Wallington, VT 1778+
History of Wallingford, VT by Walter Thorpe
In the town records there is a list of "Freemen's names as they were entered in December 1778, among
Amos Ives lived where M. Ballou resides. Jotham Ives home was just south of Mr. Russell Sherman's.
Abraham Ives kept the first store and tavern and was located near the Meachem place. He was a man of
great energy and character and held the office of Captain of the militia, Justice of the Peace and
also High Sheriff for the County, 1781-1785. His establish-
ment was not on a very large scale as he had only one room for store and tavern and a bedroom. According
to an ancient source "he subsequently built a house where he kept his store and tavern, and had it painted
and papered and was pretty smart." Mr. Ives one time started to go up to Mr. Richmond's, now the Ballou
place, to carry home an iron wedge. When about half-way he encountered a huge panther, which, with glaring
eyes stood a few feet distant in the path before him. He decided to stand his ground and hurled his wedge
with all his strength at the panther's head. It gave a terrible scream and darted off into the forest,
leaving the worthy Captain in undisputed possession.
In selling the tract of land now known as Mendon, he opened the sale at midnight of the day advertised,
in the interests of certain Rutland men, the said land being purchased by Jonathan Parker, hence, Parkers-
town. Ives fearing prosecution for his
p.38 History of Wallingford, Vermont.
irregularity, resigned his office, sold his property to Samuel Hull and left the state. A good deal of
information regarding the early days of the town has been given by Mrs. Melinda Chatterton. She was born
in Cheshire, Conn, 1772 and was 7 yrs old when she came with her father Nathaniel Ives to settle in
Wallingford. When the Congregational Church was organized, her father, Nathaniel Ives, became the first
Deacon. The house where they first lived was near the spot now occupied by Mr. George Sabin. It was a log
cabin, and had no chimney, no hearth and no door until some time after they moved into it. For a door they
used to hang up a coverlet until it became covenient to get one. Their nearest neighbors on the south was
Mr. Benjamin Bradley and family (where Mr. Hopkins lives) On the north there was none nearer than the
Meachem place where Abraham Ives lived.
Mrs. Abraham Ives and Mrs Abram Jackson had each a calico dress that was very much admired. They cost
$15.00 a piece.
Full book online with google books online
Submitted by Janice Farnsworth
Posted with permission, Jan
The IVES family was not our ancestors.