Mystery solved-Marshall Henry Jewell (1857) of New York & N.Dakota m. K.Woods
Hello Jewell Cousins,
Here is a branch of the Jewell family I have not yet seen explored, with surnames of Hoffner and Woods. I thought I would post it here in case anyone has any connection with these family members. I have recently come across a very beautiful, very old family photo album from the late 19th century of the Jewell residences in Bismark, North Dakota, Virginia, Lake Melissa in Minnesota, and Washington, D.C. The photos are remarkably detailed and many photos show portraits of our ancestors in lovely dresses and suits of that time period. The Jewell ancestor in this case is Marshall Henry Jewell (b. April 29, 1857 of Hector, Schuyler Co NY) who married Katie (Kate Templeton) Woods (abt. 1862 - 1937) in 1882.Marshall is the son of Oliver P. and Hannah Dimick Jewell who married abt. 1855.Oliver is the son of Ebenezer Jewell.Katie Woods is the daughter of William Jeremiah and Rebecca B. Hoffner Woods, who married on March 18, 1855 in Marion County, Indiana.Here is Rebecca's genealogy:
1. John George Hoffner (1735 - 1799) m. Mary Zumwalt abt. 1762.
2. Their son Jacob Henry Hoffner (1765 - 1846)in Germany m. Maria/Mary Magdalene Shuman/Schuman/Sherman (1767 - 1840)
3. Their son Samuel Hoffner (b. abt. 1798) m. Anne (b. abt. 1809)--they moved to Indiana in the 1850s.
4. Their daughter Rebecca B. Hoffner (b. abt. 1838 and sister to my great great grandmother Jeannette Hoffner Millard) m. William Jeremiah Woods on March 18, 1855 in Marion County, Indiana. William is the son of James (b. abt. 1808) and Permelia Woods who were married abt. 1850.James and Permelia also had 5 other children:Robert, Sarah A., Jerry D., and James Wallace. William and Rebecca had 3 children--Katie (Kate Templeton) Woods, Grace Woods, (many lovely portraits of them at different ages) and Charles Woods.
5. Their daughter, Kate T. Woods (abt. 1862) married Marshall Henry Jewell (b. April 29, 1857) in 1882. It is Kate who complied the lovely, large album of all of their homes, including the interiors, family gatherings, and tea/garden parties, all taking place between 1885 and 1920. They had two sons (many pictures of them as well:) Paul Marshall Jewell born August 12, 1896 in New York, and Ralph Rodney Jewell, born March 02, 1899 in the District of Columbia.
If you have any interest in these families or have a connection, I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks so much,