I am not related. I got this out of an Portrait and Biographical Record of Randolph County Indiana
ALEX A. KNAPP was born at Wooster, Ohio, in 1836. When quite young his parents located at Mansfield, Ohio, where he learned the trade of tinner and plumber. After working as a journeyman at his trade in various places, he went to Fort Recovery, Ohio, in 1857, and carried on the tinning and stove business for Mr. R. G. Blake, afterward Judge Blake, of Celina, Ohio, until 1858, when Mr. Blake admitted him as a partner in the business. In 1859 he brought Mr. Blake's interest in the business, then moved to Celina, Ohio, continuing in the stove and tinning business until the firing upon Ft. Sumter, in April 1861, when he enlisted under Capt. W. D. Stone, in the Seventeenth Ohio Volunteer infantry, and served as first sergeant of company I. of that regiment, for over three months, under McClellan and Rosecrans in that part of old Virginia, now known as West Virginia. He returned to Fort Recovery in August 1861, and in October of the same year was commissioned as second lieutenant to enlist volunteers for three years of during the war. He raised a company inside of thirty days, was assigned to the Fortieth regiment Ohio volunteers, Col. J. Cranor, then at Camp Chase, Ohio, and on the muster in of said company, was commissioned captain of company K. The regiment left camp Chase, Ohio, in December, 1861, and became a part of Col. Garfield's expedition, to whom was assigned the task of driving the rebel Gen. Humphrey Marshall's army out of that part of eastern Kentucky, known as the Big Sandy Valley, where Capt. Knapp participated in the battles of Middle Creek, January 9, 1862, and Pound Gap, March 10, 1862, having command of 100 picked men in each engagement. At the latter place Gen. Garfield captured all the munitions and stores the rebels had, and destroyed the same, thus gaining Garfield his commission as brigadier general and winning his first laurels as a military commander.
The Fortieth Ohio volunteers constituted the army of occupation of the Big Sandy Valley, until the rebels under Bragg advanced into Kentucky and attempted to capture Cincinnati in the fall of 1862. Capt. Knapp for a while commanded the Union forces at Paintsville, Ky., until Bragg's invasion in 1862, when the Fortieth Ohio fell back to the Ohio river at Catlettsburg, and participated in all the movements of the Union forces between that point and South Point, Ohio, including an expedition up the Kanawha valley. After the rebels were driven back to Virginia, the Fortieth Ohio was again assigned to the occupation of the Big Sandy valley, where they remained until early in 1863, when they were ordered to Smithland, Ky., and thence moved up Cumberland river to Nashville, Tenn., where they were assigned to Gen. Whittaker's brigade of the reserve corps, of the army of the Cumberland, then in camp at Franklin, Tennessee. The regiment fought the first battle of Franklin, June, 1863, from thence marched on Tribune; thence, with the army on the advance from what was known as the "Murfreesboro line," participating in the battles of Shelbyville, Tullahoma and all the skirmishes and battles of the campaign, capturing Chattanooga, and ending with the three days' battle of Chickamauga, September 18, 19 and 20, where, late in the afternoon of the third day's fight, on the center, September 20, 1863, Capt. Knapp was wounded by the horse of Capt. Allen, of Gen. Whittaker's staff, falling upon him. He recovered sufficiently to resume command of what was left of his company by the 25th of September, and was assigned to the support of two guns of Capt. Ayleshire's Eighteenth Ohio battery, on Moccasin Point, opposite Lookout Mountain, and the holding of Brown's Ferry at the foot of Lookout Mountain, to prevent the crossing of the rebels below Chattanooga. Owing to scarcity of rations and supplies during the siege of Chattanooga, he, with all other wounded, was given a sick furlough late in October, and did not return again until early in December, 1863, being only in one engagement thereafter -- Buzzard's Roost, Georgia, February 22, 1864. He was honorably discharged in March 1864, for injuries received at the battle of Chickamauga.
The captain resided at Ft. Recovery until 1865, when he removed to Union City, Ind., where he formed a co-partnership with Col. Cranor, and conducted the hardware business several years, under the style and firm of Cranor & Knapp. After selling his interest in the hardware business to Col. Cranor, in 1867, he again went to Ft. Recovery, but, owing to very poor health, he entered into no active business until 1870, in March of which year, after selling out his holdings at F. Recovery he again removed to Union City, where he has resided continuously since. Shortly after his return, here he engaged in the walnut log business, shipping the same to eastern ports and to Europe. A year later he engaged in business at Red Key, Ind., and for a number of years, first by himself and afterwards with William Sniff, now of Piqua, O., and conducted the merchant lumber business, under the style of Knapp & Sniff.
In 1871 Capt. Knapp became a member of the city council that constructed the Union City water works, and was appointed by that body superintendent of construction, in which capacity he dug the first water well, built the power house, but in the pumps, laid the water mains, etc. On completion of the works he was appointed superintendent in charge of the same, in which capacity he continued for six or seven years. It is his proudest boast, that, during all the years of his supervision of the water works, at every call for water, for fires, every hydrant, pump, and valve was found in perfect working order, without a second's delay, and during that time not a dollar's worth of property was lost by fire, that could be saved by the works, when in their most efficient working condition. In January, 1873, Capt. Knapp engaged in the plumbing business, and later in the same year, in the sewer pipe and terra cotta goods trade, ever offered in this section of country, and gradually added other lines to his business, thereby laying the foundation for the present establishment known as "The Knapp Supply Co." which was incorporated with a capital of $25,000 in 1889. In 1890, owning to very poor health, he sold his holdings in said company, in which he has no interest whatever at the present time. Remaining out of business two years, he established and became manager of the business now conducted under the firm name and style of "Alex Knapp & Co.," who are dealers in and jobbers of iron and lead pipe, as well as plumbers, gas and steam fitters, supplies, also mill supplies, natural gas goods, rubber hose, belting, sewer pipe, fire brick, fire clay, terra cotta goods, Portland and common cements, plaster paris, etc., at Union City, Ind., with a branch house at Dunkirk, Ind., of which H. L. Slough, Jr. is manager.
Capt. Knapp is a royal arch Mason, a member of the G. A. R. and of the Indiana commandery, Military Order of the Loyal Legion. He was married in 1869 at Ft. Recovery, Ohio, to Miss Mary P. McDaniel, whose parents were pioneers of Mercer County. The lady died in 1883, and, in 1888, he married Miss Emma T. Slough, of Delaware, Ohio. The captain is of Pennsylvania Dutch stock, his ancestors on his father's side being colonists with William Penn. His father John N. Knapp and his mother Hannah Spang are both from Berks County, Pennsylvania. The migrated to Wayne County, Ohio, in 1833, when the present town of Wooster was only a hamlet. His father died in Mansfield, Ohio, in 1846, his mother is still living at the advanced age of upwards of eighty-three years. Mrs. Knapp is also Pennsylvania Dutch by descent; he father, James L. Slough, Sr., is a native of Berks County and her mother, Christina Smith, of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, having removed to Ohio in 1849, and settled in the town of Delaware, in that state.