It sure was a surprise to here from you.For the most part our information is the same.Except for the name
Alexander Leopold b. 1899; Never heard of him.My grandfather was Leo Matthew born: March 6, 1899 and diedJune 6,1959 in St. Cloud (same parents).When did you start your research?Do you live in the St. Cloud area?
I would very much like it if you could send me information on William and Frances family.My grandmother didn't know much except that he was an older brother, he lived in St. Cloud and died in 1944.
I got most of my information from the Stearns Co. Hist. Soc. in St. Cloud and an interview done in the 1930's with Frances Kowalkowski Schmid.
In my research I've found their last name spelled as: Schmitt, Schmitz, Schmidt and Schmid.My grandfather Leo and Andrew spell it Schmid.How has William's family spelled their last name?Another question I have not bother to research as yet is that when he was dying my great uncle Andrew told my aunt Sister Joan that his father Charles told him that their real last name was Huber.That he and his brothers had changes it to Schmidt when they came to America.
I was told Charles was born May 19, 1858 in Munich, Germany.He came to America in 1877 and for a time located in New York City; coming to St. Cloud, Mn. about 1878-79.Charles was employed as a granite cutter by
Henry Herschbach.In 1881 he started a retail meat market on St. Germain Street in St. Cloud.In 1902 he returned to the granite business until he retired in 1912.Charles died March 26, 1937 in St. Cloud.
Charles married Frances Kowalkowski daughter of a John and Anna Kowalkowski from Buffalo, NY on October 20, 1882 at St. John Cantuis Church.They had 11 children (one unnamed infant died).
1. Rose married John Poeppy of St. Cloud; had one adopted daughter Marie (Mrs. Norbert Molitor). Rose died Nov.
13, 1978 and John in 1929.
2. Mary was single and died September 14, 1906
3. William (your grandfather)
4. Leopold was married and lived in St. Cloud
5. John was single, lived in St. Cloud and died in the 1960's
6. Charles Jr. lived in St.Cloud
7. Katherine married twice: 2 children by first husband: Milton and Genevieve (Dolly) and 2nd husband Louis Koglin
two children: Mildred (Mitzi) and Corrine. Katherine died January 29, 1937.Lived in St. Cloud.
8.Albert Changed his last name to Tilson when he married Rose Tilson.One son Robert was living in Tuszon, Ariz.
Albert died in the 1960's in Arizona.
9. Andrew b. Jan. 24, 1896 ; d. Jan. 23, 1979 in St. Cloud.Married Marqurite Freudenberg of Alexandria, Mn. July
28, 1926. Founder of H & S Schoes in St. Cloud (no longer open).Children: James, Richard and Jane (Mrs. Robert Ruether) of St. Cloud and Philip of Eau Claire, Wi.
10. Leo Matthew (my grandfather) b. March 6, 1899; d. June 6, 1959. Married Irene Katherine Chaon daughter of Xavier Chaon and Katherine Hoffmann of Clearwater, Mn.on May 9, 1931 in Minneapolis, Mn.Irene d. Feb. 14, 1997.Two daughtesr: Joan Marie b. Feb. 7, 1932 in Minneapolis, Mn. is a Dominican Sister now retired and living in St. Cloud and Marion Joyce (Molly) b. May 26, 1933 in St. Cloud.Married William Peter Zapf of St. Cloud Feb
23, 1952.They live in Cold Spring, Mn.about 18 miles west of St. Cloud.This is where I grew up. I'm the oldest
of six children: 1.Mary Diane (I go by Diane) b. May 30, 1952, San Bernerdino, Ca. Married Karlheinz Erdmann of Worms, Germany Feb. 11, 1983 in Cold Spring; two daughters: Fiona b.March 2, 1986 and Katja b. July 24, 1987 both born in St. Ord, Ca.Separted from Karlheinz in 1995 and Div. 1997.Re-married Thomas Gfall in September
5, 1998 in Plum City, Wi.( where we live now).
2. Daniel Wm. born May 22, 1955 in St. Cloud.Married Susan Haak of Henning, Mn. July 7, 1998 in Lake Tahoe, Nv. no children.They live in Eagan, Mn.
3. Elizabeth Ann (Leisa) born June 11, 1957 in St. Cloud. Married Larry Utsch of Cold Spring April 24, 1976 in Cold
Spring, Mn.Two children: Joshua Daniel b. Nov. 30. 1978 in St. Cloud; married Julie Vinkemeir Sept. 22, 2001 in Annandale, Mn. Moly Diane b. June 30, 1983.They live in Clearwater, Mn.
4. Mary Joan (Jo) b. October 25, 1959 in St. Cloud. Married Steve Hollenhorst Aug. 29. 1984 of Robbinsdale, Mn. in Cold Spring.Two daughters: Kali Frances b. June 28, 1990 and Olivia Jo b. July 18, 1992 both in Morgantown, W.V.They now live in Moscow, Id.
5. Julie Ann b. May 4, 1961 in St. Cloud. Married Don Gfall of Plum City, Wi. July 25, 1987 in Cold Spring, Mn.
One daughter: Nicole Zapf Gfall (Nikki) b. Jan. 18, 1993 in Buffalo, Mn. lives in St. Augusta, Mn.
Has far as I know Charles had two brothers; William b. Feb. 10, 1852 in Germany. Married Emma Keller May 15, 1887 in St. Cloud.Owned and operated meat market in St. Cloud for 39 years. d. 1927.Came to St. Cloud 1884 children:Leo E. (1888), . Andrew J. (1891),.Louise (1893),. Ernest (1897),. Otto E.. (1900), Josephine (1902), Lawrence ( 1904), Walter J. (1906) and Hildegarde (Hilda Anna) (1907).
Leo or Leopold lived in Philadelphia, Pa.Two sisters: Gertrude married and lived in Phil., Pa. and Elizabeth remained in Germany.
Hope this helps you.My e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org. Address is: P.O. Box 171, Plum City, Wi.54761