I have been spending the weekend on this line and would like to compare notes.
I believe that the wife of John Loverin, Sr. may have been named Mary rather than Hestor.I have found many sources that indicate that Mary Eaton, daughter of Governor Theophilus Eaton married first to Valentine Hill, then to John Lovering, then to Ezekiel Knight.I've only see the name "Hestor" on one of the records.
(1) Ancestry.com. Genealogical Dictionary of New England Settlers [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 1997. Original data: Savage, James. A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England Showing Three Generations of Those Who Came Before May, 1692. Vol. I-IV. Boston, MA, USA: 1860-1862.This source contains the following: * EZEKIEL, Wells 1645, prob. had w. and ch. in early life, and may be the same as the preced. was commiss. i. e. rep. 1661, at York, much betrust. in public serv. and aft. 1662 m. Mary, d. of Gov. Theophilus Eaton, wid. of Valentine Hill of Dover, formerly of Boston; and, next, the wid. of John Lovering, and she d. bef. 29 June 1675, when he present. a bill [p.36] for support. of the childr. of L. and he d. 1687. This connects Mary to the governor and three husbands: Hill, Lovering and Knight.
(2) History of the town of Durham, New Hampshire (Oyster River Plantation): with genealogical notes.This source is mainly reporting on Valentine Hill and his descendants, but lists Mary Eaton as his second wife.It goes on to say that Mary married Ezekiel Knight after we was widowed.It does not mention that she married John Lovering between Hill and Knight.
(3) Ancestry.com. New Hampshire Probate Records, 1635-1753 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2003. Original data: Batchellor, Albert Stillman, ed. Probate Records of the Province of New Hampshire 1635-1740. Vol. 1: State Papers Series, Vol. 31. Concord, NH, USA: Rumford Printing Co., 1907. Metcalf, Henry Harrison, edit. Probate Records of the Province of New Hampshire 1718-1740. Volume 2. State Papers Series, Volume 32. Bristol, NH: R. W. Musgrove, Printer, 1914. Metcalf, Henry Harrison, edit. Probate Records of the Province of New Hampshire 1741-1749. Volume 3. State Papers Series, Volume 33. Concord, NH: The Rumford Press, 1915. Hammond, Otis G., edit. Probate Records of the Province of New Hampshire 1750-1753. Volume 4. State Papers Series, Volume 34. New Hampshire: The State of New Hampshire, 1933. This source has the will our our John Lovering, 1668.It tells of John's widow Hester remarrying to Ezekiell Knight and of Mr. Knight having to raise John's children.I think this is the will you referenced in your original post.
1. Do you agree that these sources seem to indicate that Hestor in source #3 is the same as Mary in sources #1 and #2?
2. You list a book called "Old Kittery and Her Famililes" as a source for the children of John and Hester/Mary.Do you happen to have a copy of that book or a copy of the page that says this?I'd like to have a copy for my records (and would certainly reimburse you for copying/mailing, or other costs).
I'll appreciate any help.Thanks, Denise