Finlay family rough pedigree--likely many errors
1. Walter Finlay married and had,
2. John Finlay of the Moss and Killearn; m. and had,
3. James Finlay, 4th son (1727-1790) m. Abigail Whirry of Whitehaven, Cumbria, and had,
4. Capt. John Finlay, R.E., d. 1802 m. Helen Thomson, dau of George Thomson, banker of Glasgow and had,
5. George Finlay (1799-1875) of Athens, Greece
4. Kirkman Finlay (1773-1842) M.P., Lord Provost m. Janet Struthers (1766-1854), dau of Robert Struthers, brewer of Glasgow, and had,
5. James Finlay (1796-1847), buried Blackadder Aisle, Glasgow Cathedral, eldest son; m. 1825 Jane Cathcart Bogle; Janet died in 1869, aged 65, near Wrexham.
6.? St. Catherine's, Liverpool, James Finlay, Esq. of Liverpool married in 1844 Caroline, youngest dau of the late Charles Garthorne Burrell, Esq. of North Shields. (possible son of the above James, or the above James was married twice).
6. Kirkman Finlay, Esq,, merchant of Liverpool, m. 1859 at Kirkcudbright to Jane, dau of William Hannay M'Lellan, Esq.
6. George Bogle Finlay
6. Hannah Finlay
6. Hugh Finlay, Esq. of Liverpool m. Dec. 11, 1856 at St Mary's Ch., Glasgow to Susan Lillias Robertson, dau of Dr. James Hunter Robertson, M.D. of Toronto. [Hugh Finlay, formerly of Liverpool, 2nd son of James Finlay of Glasgow, died March 9, 1894, aged 63 in Florida].
7. James Kirkman Finlay, died 1886, aged 24, at Crescent City, Florida; eldest son of Hugh Finlay, late of Liverpool.
7. Helena (Ena) Maria Caroline Finlay of Liverpool and Castle Toward m. 1904 to Arnulph Henry Reginald Mallock (1851-1933), son of the Rev. William Mallock and Margaret Froude.
6. John Thomas Finlay, youngest son of James, died 1852, Glasgow.
6.? Helen, 4th dau of the late James Finlay, Esq. of Glasgow, married Capt. David James Welsh (Welch), eldest son of the late Rev. Dr. Welsh, Professor Edin. Univ.
5. Thomas Kirkman Finlay, b. 1799-1846; of Liverpool, died at London; merchant; 3rd son of Kirkman.
5. Robert Finlay, b. 1801-1830, died India; said to be 4th son of Kirkman.
5. Hannah Finlay, b. 1803
5. Agnes Abigail Finlay, b. 1805
5. Janet Finlay, (1808-1840) m. John 1829 John Campbell, 4th of South Hall, son of John and Mary Campbell.
5. Adeliza (Adeline) Finlay (1809-1860)
5. Kirkman Finlay, b. 1812
5. Caroline Finlay, b. 1816
[Two of the above mentioned daus of Kikman Finlay married the following: one dau married Thomas Campbell; another dau married Thomas Graham].
5. Alexander Struthers Finlay of Castle Toward, 4th son, J.P., M.P.; (1806-1886); m. 1840 Maria (Marion) Campbell (1818-1865), dau of Colin Campbell of Colgrain and Dumbartonshire and had,
6. Colin Campbell Finlay, (1843-1899)
6. Alexander Kirkman Finlay, (1844-1883) of Castle Toward, Greenock m. 1878 in Sydney, Australia, to Nora Augusta Maud Robinson, dau of Sir Hercules Robinson, then Governor of North South Wales, Australia.
5. John Finlay of Deanston House, b. 1797; m. 1829 Isabella Hotchkis, dau of Richard Hotchkis, Esq. of Edinburgh and had,
6. Kirkman John Finlay, b. 1830-?1892?; m. 1863 Jane Callander, dau of John Erskine Callander, Esq. of Springield, the Isle of Wight. Jane Mary Ersking Callander died in 1877.[ On Aug. 17, 1881, a Kirkman J. Finlay married Alice Maud Liebich, eldest da of Immanuel Liebich of Bayswater. The marriage took place at St. Stephen's Ch., Westbourne Park].
6. John Finlay (1833-1911) m. 1863 Mary Marcella Taylor, dau of Thomas Taylor and Eliza Lockett [Eliza Lockett was the dau of Mary Barnett who had m. Abraham Lockett in 1817. Mary Barnett was the dau of Elizabeth Laird who had married 1 John Barnett of Randalstown, Co. Antrim and 2 James Dickey who was also of Randalstown. The Dickeys of Randalstown were related to the Macaulay family first of Randalstown and then of Crumlin and Larne.]
6. James Hotchkis Finlay, Esq. (1836-1860), died London.
3. William Finlay of the Moss
4. Possibly skipping a generation, but in 1844 James Finlay, Ensign, 2nd son of the late William Finlay, Esq. of Moss, died in Bombay.
3. John Finlay of Carston
3. Edward Finlay
**Descended from the above family
1. Sir Campbell Kirkman Finlay, owner of the Burma Oil Co.; m. Alice Kathleen Norton
2. Violet Vivian Finlay (1914-1986) medical doctor and writer; m. 1 Mr Stuart; m. 2 a Hungarian doctor and they immigrated to Australia; m. 3 1958 Cyril William Mann, banker
3. Gillian Rushton
3. Jennifer Gooch
3. Vary Stuart
3. Valerie Stuart, twins