AMMARELL, CHARLES, p. 1034
surnames: AMMARELL, MONZ, BECK, DANZ, KOTT, MACHEMER, HAAG, ULRICH, WANNER, KESSLER, ALTHOUSE, LEINBACH, STITZEL, KRAMER
Charles Ammarell, one of the solid, substantial business men of Reading, PA., and an honored veteran of the Civil war, who is engaged in numerous flourishing business enterprises, was born in Weimar, Saxony, Germany, July 17, 1845, son of Frederick and Rosalie (Monz) Ammarell, and grandson of Frederick Ammarell, who died in Germany.
Frederick Ammarell, the father, was born at Weimar, Germany, April 1, 1809, his education being secured in the common schools. In August, 1854, he came to the United States on a sailing vessel, landing at New York City after an eight week voyage. Having learned the trade of carpenter in his native country, he was engaged at that occupation in New York for a short time, but subsequently removed to Northampton county, PA., engaging there at the business of boat-building. Later he was employed at Felix's Dam, in Bern township, Berks county, and died at the home of his son at Epler's Church, in that township, Jan. 3, 1886, aged seventy-six years, eight months, seventeen days. His wife, Rosalie (Monz) Ammarell died in Germany when about sixty-five years old, the mother of children as follows: Louisa, who married a Mr. Beck, of Brookyn, N.Y. ; Robert, who resides on his farm in Bern township; Charles, who died in infancy; Charles (2), the subject of this sketch; Lena, who married a Mr. Danz; and Alma, who married Draugott Kott.
Charles Ammarell received his earlier education in the schools in Germany, and later attended in this country. On July 10, 1859, he came to the United States, making the trip on a sailing vessel, the voyage taking six weeks. From New York City he came to Bern township, and until 1862 was engaged in work for the widow Althouse and William Leinbach. On Oct. 14th of that year he enlisted in Company, 151st PA. V. I., a nine month's regiment, with which he served in the battles of Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. He then returned to the farm, but on Feb. 16, 1864, re-enlisted for a term of three years, becoming a member of Company E, 46th PA. V. I., and after going to Chattanooga, joined Sherman's army in their great march to the sea, his corps traveling over 1,500 miles. He was mustered out July 27, 1865, having served two years and three months, and during this whole period he was never sick a day so as to incapacitate him for service. Willing and cheerful, brave and faithful, he made an ideal soldier, and won the respect and admiration of both officers and men. On completing his services to his adopted country, Mr. Ammarell returned to the farm, and later took up agricultural pursuits on his own account in Muhlenberg and Bern townships. He also spent nine years on Judge Stitzel's farm in Muhlenberg township, and in 1896 came to Reading, locating at No. 634 North Front street, where for about four years he was engaged in contracting the hauling for the Carpenter Steel Works. In 1898, in company with W. M. Leinbach, and H. F. Kramer, Mr. Ammerell built the West Buttonwood Street Market House, a building 75x185 feet, located at the corner of McKnight and West Buttonwood streets, and since that time he has been acting as manager and superintendent of this enterprise, positions for which he is eminently suited. Mr. Ammerell began his extensive building operations in 1900, since which time he has erected numerous dwelling and business blocks, including twenty-six houses on Schuylkill avenue, forty houses on Greenwich and North Front streets, and twenty-seven on North Front between Green and Greenwich streets, on the west side. In 1907 he also erected nine houses at Coatsville, PA. He is a director of the Berks Coal Company. With his partner, H. F. Kramer, he owns valuable building property in Reading, and in the real estate, financial and commercial circles of the city is recognizd as a man of great business capacity, sterling integrity, and strict adherence to the principles of right. Mr. Ammerell is a Republican in politics, but he has never cared for political favors, although while a resident of Muhlenberg township he served as school director for one term. His religious connection is with Epler's Chuirch, in which he has filled the vaious offices. He is a popular comrade of McLean Post No. 16, G. A. R. Mr. Ammarell is very fond of travel, and in 1891, with his brother Robert, made a trip to Germany, where he visited old scenes and re-established old acquaintances. With Mrs. Ammarell and Mr. and Mrs. H. F. Kramer, he made a trip of 9,499 miles in 1906, going to Southern California, and spending some time in visit to Yellowstone Park and Canada.
In 1866, Mr. Ammarell married Amanda Machemer, dau. of Charles and Mary (Haag) Machemer, agricultural people of Bern township, Berks county, and there were four children born to this union, as follows: Amelia married Morris J. Ulrich, assistant superintendent of the Market House, Reading; Clara married Daniel K. Wanner, a Reading business man; Katie married Irvin K. Kessler, also in business in this city; and Charles, Jr., died when eight years old. The family are highly esteemed by all who have the pleasure of their acquaintance, and they are known to stand for all that represents the best type of citizenship.