History of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania Cushing, Thomas, b. 1821 Chicago, Ill.: A. Warner & Co., 1889
Pg. 78 JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP
Owing to the great extent of Mifflin Township, many persons, as its population increased, were obliged to travel eight or nine miles to the place of election, and the work of road-making occasioned great inconvenience.At the April sessions, 1827, a petition for division having been filed, John Behan, David Coon and Noble Calhoun were appointed to consider the advisability of effecting the change proposed.A favorable report having been submitted, Jefferson was erected at January sessions, 1828, from the southern part of Mifflin and a small portion of St. Clair.Its area was 19, 468 acres, and that of Mifflin was reduced to 17,750 acres.In 1832 the boundary line between the two was so changed as to take from Jefferson 202 acres in favor of Mifflin.In 1844 a small portion of Jefferson was united with contiguous portions of the adjoining township to form the new township of Baldwin, and in the following year about 1/3 of its territory became part of Snowden.The present area is about 12,000 acres.The names are remembered of the following residents prior to 1830:
...ADAM, ROBERT, SAMUEL & FERGUSON McELHENEY;...THOMAS McELHENEY; ___McELHENEY and sons ROBERT, SAMUEL, DAVID, HOLDSHIP and JAMES;...(pg. 81) JOHN McELHENEY and son JOHN HENRY;...
Peter's Creek, a large and important affluent of the Monongahela, drains nearly the whole of the township.It is formed by the confluence of Fish run and Piney fork, and receives the waters of Lick run at the Snowden line.The principal tributary streams from the north in this township are Pierce's run, Beam's run and Lewis' run, and from the south, Scotia run and Dry run.The land is well adapted to farming and stock-raising.Coal and limestone are abundant.