Jesse Medlin Sr b abt 1780 North Carolina. He md the first time abt 1817 to Catherine LNU, prob in Tennessee. He d 6 Sep 1846 White Co, Ill and is bur in Old Medlin Cem, White Co, Ill. Catherine was b abt 1800, she was of Rutherford Co, Tenn, she d abt 1830 in White Co, Ill and is bur in the Old Medlin Cem, White Co, Ill.
While Illinois has laws on the books that would haveprotected old cemeteries, they have not been enforced and many old cemeteries have been lost due to inconsiderate carelessness of more recent land holders. This is the case with the Old Medlin Cemetery. My husband and I were directed to the site by oldtimers in the area. We went there, walked the property, could not locate any graves, we searched fence rows and nearby bushes, brambles and woods in hopes of finding any kind of stone or stones that may have been removed from the cemetery, they could not be found. Removal and erasing of old cemeteries to enlarge farmland by a minute area is heinously uncaring, inconsiderate, disrespectful and cruel. Perhaps persons responsible for this type of behavior will someday come to their senses, I hope so.
Back to the Medlin family:
Jesse Sr. and Catherine had the following children:
1. Unknown Medlin, b 1818 Rutherford Co, Tenn
2. Joseph B. Medlin, b 1820 Rutherford Co, Tenn, he d ca 1860, he md 5 Feb 1839 White Co, Ill to Elizabeth Tombs. (If anyone out there is researching the Tombs family I would like to hear from them.) I have information on the descendants of Joseph B.
3. Mary Medlin b 1822 Rutherford Co, Tenn, d 19 Feb 1856 White Co, Ill, she md 6 Mar 1837 White Co, Ill to Peyton Smith Harvey. I have further info on her descendants.
4. Jesse Medlin Jr. b 1825 Tenn, d betw 6 Aug 1848-1851 White co, Ill
Jesse Medlin Sr. md second Eveline McGhee, b 29 Oct 1812, Montgomery Co, Tenn, d 12 June 1869 Heralds Prairie Twp, White Co, Ill, bur Old Medlin Cem, White Co, Ill, her father was Pyrant McGhee (yes, Pyrant, as evidenced by documents) and Jemima Margaret Pearce.Eveline had other husbs: Robert D. Williams (had 2 sons John Williams and Dudley Williams); William Sparkman Harvey
Jesse and Eveline had the following children:
1. Benjamin Francis Medlin (was he in Civil War?), b 14 Dec 1836, Heralds Prairie Twp, near Carmi, White, Ill
d 28 Jan 1891 Heralds Prairie Twp, near Carmi, White, Ill, bur Union Ridge Cem, White Co, Ill, md 28 Aug 1859 White Co, Ill to Martha E. Harvey.
2. George Washington Medlin, b 1838 Heralds Prairie Twp, near Carmi, White, Ill, d 27 Jan 1859 White Co, Ill, md 10 Mar 1858 White Co, Ill to Mary Emile Hendrix
3. William Marion Medlin, b 1841 near Carmi, White, Ill, d 20 Apr 1856
4. Henderson Medlin b 1843 near Carmi, White, Ill, d 6 Jul 1863 Civil War, prob during siege of Vicksburg
5. Milton Jasper Medlin (was he in Civil War?) b 1845 Heralds Prairie Twp, White Co, Ill, d 9 Feb 1897 Gallatin Co, Ill, bur Union Ridge Cem, White Co, Ill, md 5 Aug 1866 White Co, Ill to Margaret Wease
I have many sources and documents to back up the above family information, if anyone is interested.
Would greatly enjoy discussing this research with anyone and would like to find anyone with further info or desiring to work together on this research.