Family in Mt. Jackson, Shenandoah Co., VA; mid 1800s
I am not researching this family, just entering information from the booklet "Mt. Jackson, VA - the Past of the Present and the Future" done by the local Chamber of Commerce; contains information from local newspaper articles:
"Mr. Wissler called his first orchard, Strathmore, after the estate he purchased from Gilbert S. Meem."
There is mention of a history of the John G. Meem Family.
Concerning the Civil War and the "soldiers cemetery" - "Dr. Russell Meem of Mount Airy, was in charge of the wounded.Soon after the war, Dr. Meem's daughter, Miss Leila Meem and Miss Doon Pennybacker were determined to fix up and fence in the cemetery.These young women spent days in the weeds and briars under scorching sun deciphering the names scratched on the crude boards mounted at the graves."
"In 1841 Mount Airy (pictured) was sold by Beale Steenbergen to John G. Meem, Sr., of Lynchburg.It was this owner who enlarged the estate to include about 1,000 acres of rich bottom land almost encircled by Smith Creek and the North Fork of the Shenandoah River - hence the name, Meem's Bottom.John G. Meem refitted Mount Airy in 1811 and a part of this refurbishing included two beautifully carved mantels of black variegated marble from Italy.He also increased his holdings to five thousand acres.Both Rude's Hill and Strathmoor Estates were originally part of Mount Airy."
"Dr. Russell Meem, John's son, was the doctor in charge of the hospital center in Mt. Jackson during the Civil War.In 1870, Mount Airy was divided among the Meem heirs.(John's son, Gilbert, built Strathmoor on his inherited share.He sold the estate to the Wisslers in 1892.)Mount Airy was purchased by H. Grafton Dulaney in 1884.In 1909, the Estate passed again into the ownership of a Meem when purchased by Daniel Kelleher.Mrs. Kelleher was a daughter of the late Gilbert S. Meem.It was Daniel Kelleher who rebuilt Mount Airy in 1910."
"High on a bluff overlooking the North Fork of the Shenandoah River and Meem's Bottom stands a shell of brick walls - a ghost of a once palatial mansion. (pictured)It was in 1872 that Gilbert S. Meem, son of John G. Meem of Mouth Airy, selected this upon which to build his home..... The 28 room mansion had three staircases, a ballroom, and a huge butler's pantry..."
"Gilbert Simrall Meem was a practical farmer, and managed Mouth Airy for many years - breeding fancy sheep and cattle.He served in the Confederacy as a brigadier general under Stonewall Jackson.After the War, he became a member of the House of Delegates of Virginia and later represented Shenandoah and Page Counties in the Virginia Senate."
"It was his wife, aided by Mrs. Russell Meem and Mrs. William D. Peachy and other ladies, who built St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Mount Jackson, thereby reviving Beckford Parish of Muhlenberg fame.It is also recorded that these same ladies even held a bazaar on December 24 and 25, 1872, to help support this undertaking."
"It was on the 1,200 acres of land which Gen. Gilbert Meem inherited from his father and which was also a portion of Mouth Airy that he built and developed Strathmoor.This estate soon won the reputation as the best wheat and corn producing farm in the Calley - rivaling Mount airy."
"In 1892, Gen. Gilbert Meem sold Strathmoor and 1,217 acres of land in Meem's Bottom to Franklin H. Wissler."