Abstract from the Centennial History of the Diocese of New York, James G. Wilson, 1886 on the 2nd bishop of the diocese Benjamin Moore (no middle name). Benjamin Moore b. Newtown, Long Island 16 Oct 1748. Graduate of Kings (Columbia U.) College, NYC Ordained deacon 24 Jun 1774, and priest 29 June 1774, both at Fulham Palace Chapel, London, Eng. by the Bp of London Richard Terrick. Spent his entire ministry at Trinity Church, Wall St, NYC (became rector shortly before consecrated bishop 11 Sep 1801, Trenton, NJ). He m. Charity Clark 1778 who inherited her father's estate "Chelsea" extending from W. 19th St north to W. 24th St. and from Eighth Avenue west to the Hudson River. This is the area now known as Chelsea in lower westside New York. The site of the home is the site of the mammoth Chelsea Apartments on W 23rd St. Clement Clark Moore, their only son, was a professor of Greek and Hebrew literature at the General Seminary of the Protestant Episcopal Church located on Ninth Ave between 20th and and 21st Sts. Known locally as Chelsea Square; This property was given to the school by Clement Moore. He is also credited with the design of nearby St Peter's Episcopal Church on 20th St.