There are two different Arthur OLDs in early NC. One Arthur resided with his family in present Greene Co., NC and died by late 1795. Some of his descendants moved to the area of Dyer Co., TN. The other Arthur lived in Camden Co., NC in the early 1800s. There were also two Arthurs born into families in the Lower Norfolk area of Virginia. I am concluding that both of these men immigrated to North Carolina, not very far from their origins.
My research suggests that they shared a common ancestor, Edward OLD, Sr. (d. 1718, Princess Anne Co., NC ). Edward Sr. was Arthur (of Greene Co.) ‘s grandfather (Arthur> Edward, Jr.>Edward , Sr.). To Arthur of Camden Co., Edward Sr. was his great-grandfather (Arthur>Kedar>Thomas>Edward Sr). The two Arthurs are first cousins once removed. My conclusion rests on Edward Jr.’s 1737-1738 will in which he declares he has a brother Thomas . I will be placing a separate posting on my findings of the OLD family of Princess Anne County, VA .
The elder Arthur is found first in Princess Anne County, VA. Arthur first appears when he is named as the son of Edward OLD, Jr. in Edward’s 1737-1738 will . Interestingly, Edward OLD, Jr. and his wife Rebecca appear in deeds in Currituck Co., NC in the early 1700s . Arthur appears in his own right when he is listed as one of the purchasers in the estate sale of James RANDOLPH, Princess Anne Co.,VA on 27 April 1757 .
Between 1762 and 1777 an Arthur OLD appears several times in Pitt Co., NC deeds . He is later found in various other eastern NC counties, all within the same region. He is finally mentioned on 2 January 1796 in the Pitt Co. deed book as deceased, with Mary as his widow . He was a resident of Glasgow County upon his death . In 1799 (his sons) Gideon and Alligood OLDS were witnesses to a Pitt County deed .
Here is a time line of Arthur OLD’s residency:
1737 Princess Anne County, VA
1757 Princess Anne County, VA
1762 Pitt Co., NC (Witness; Deed Book B, pg. 82)
1767 “ “ (Witness, Deed Book C, pg. 413)
1772 “ “ (Witness, Deed Book E, pg. 250)
1775 Pitt Co., NC census
1777 “ “ (Grantor, Deed Book F, pg. 189)
1780 Dobbs Co., NC Tax List--District # 6 ORMOND
Greene County - North of Great Contentnea Creek from Hookerton, Maury vicinity and west to near Snow Hill.
1790 Dobbs Co., NC; unknown township. Federal Census:
1793 Glasgow Co., NC
1796 (Jan.) Pitt Co., NC -deceased, resident of Glasgow Co.
1800 Greene Co., NC: (sons) listed on Federal Census:
Gideon OWLS 1-0-0-1-0 / 0-0-0-1-0 / 0-3
Alligood OWLS 1-0-0-1-0 / 2-0-0-1-0 / 0-1
Jolly OWLS 2-0-1-0-0 / 1-0-0-1-0 / 0-3
Frederick OWLS 0-0-2-0-0 / 0-0-0-0-1 / 0-2
Note: Listed in a row as seen; no others in between
Evan OWLS 0-0-1-0-0 /0-0-0-0-0 / 0-1
It can be confusing to keep up with this Arthur OLD in the late 1700s. It is helpful to know that new counties were being formed from pre-existing ones, and sometimes old counties were completely abolished. If that weren’t enough of a challenge for a researcher, some counties courthouses burned down. There is an absence of a paper trail that one could normally use to pinpoint Arthur OLD(S) and his family.
-Pitt Co. formed from Beaufort Co. 1760; Pitt Co. courthouse burned down 1858, destroying all records.
- Dobbs Co. formed from Johnston Co. in 1758.
-Glasgow Co. formed from Dobbs Co. in 1791; Records incorperated with Greene Co.
-Greene Co. replaced name of Glasgow Co. 1799; County court house burned down in 1876.
The second Arthur OLD resided in Camden County, which falls along the North Carolina boarder with Virginia. He is in a completely different generation from the first Arthur. The Camden County Arthur married Harriet FEREBEE  and was the son of Kedar OLD. Bill OLD states on Genforum:
“The will of Kedar Old Sr. was written Dec. 18, 1817 but not probated until May 20 1833. His sons are Arthur, Hollowell, James and Kedar. His daughters were Lydia Waren, Euphaney Barlee, Suervey White and Mary Peyer (sic). Norfolk County Will Book Vol. 5, p. 319. “
Kedar OLDS is listed on a 1779 tax list for Currituck Co., NC . Beyond his name, it isn’t evident if this Kedar is the father of Arthur. Caleb OLD of Princess Anne CO., VA also had a son named named Kader/Kedar.
Arthur OLD of Camden Co. is listed as a member of Senate for the years of 1804, 1805, 1806, 1807 . On the 1810 federal census, “A. Old, Esqr.” and “H. Old, Esqr.” are listed in Camden County . The most likely explanation for the the title of Esqire is one who holds a public office . Arthur had been a Senate member, and Hollowell had been Constable in Norfolk Co., VA (1799 Personal tax, Hollowell Olds, Constable) .
The following census information pertains to Camden Co., NC. Although the 1820 census does not list an Arthur, Camden County is home for James, Hollowell, Polly, and Tully T. OLD . The 1830 census lists John T., Merret, and William OLD . In the 1840 census, Arthur OLD reimerges (20-30 age group) . The 1850 census lists Arthur as being 33 years old, with Harriet OLD, 50 years old . He is obviously not the same Arthur mentioned as a Senate member and listed in the early 1800s, but a son or other relation.
I hope that we will uncover further records to give us a better idea of the families of these two gentlemen. I strongly urge any local researchers to look through colonial records of old Albemarle,Currituck, Pasquatok, Perquimons, and Johnston/Pitt/Dobbs Counties. Such evidence could strengthen or correct my conclusions.
1. Anne E. Maling, Princess Anne County, Virginia: Land and Probate Records, Abstracted from Deed Books One to Seven 1691-1755, Vol. I , (Heritage Books, n.d.) , p. 38.
2. Ibid, p. 67.
3. Maling, p. 67.
4. __________ , Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol. I, Jan. 1900, p. 209.
5. John Harvy Creecy, Editor, Virginia Antiquary, Vol. I; Princess Anne County Loose Papers 1700-1789 (Richmond, Va, 1954), pg. 7.
6. Judith Dupree Ellison, Volume I (1761-1785): Index and Abstracts of Deeds of Record of Pitt County, North Carolina. (South Miami, FL, n.d.). [B 82, B 106,C 294,C 413,D 1, E 250, F 31,F 189,
7. Judith Dupree Ellison, Volume II (1782-1801): Index and Abstracts of Deeds of Record of Pitt County, North Carolina. (South Miami, FL, n.d.), p. O 1.
8. Ibid, pg. O 1.
9. Ellison, Vol. II, p. O 294.
10. Edson B. Olds, The Olds (Old, Ould) Family in England and America,
(Washington D.C., 1915), p. 323.Counties, North Carolina (1663-1850) ( , 1958), p.10.
11. Gordon C. Jones, Abstracts of Wills and other Records, Currituck and Dare
12. __________ , North Carolina Historical Sketches, 1584-1851, Vol. II; Series III; p. 71. [Viewed on Ancestry.com under search “Arthur OLD”.]
13. 1810 NC Federal Census index, “Old”, pg. 188.
14. Randy Jones’ Roots webpage:
15. Binns Genealogy: 1790/1800 Tax Lists for Virginia
16. 1820 NC Federal Census index, “Old”, pg. 340.
17. 1830 NC Federal Census index “Old”, pg. 139.
18. 1840 NC Federal Census index “Old”, pg. 181.
19. 1850 United States Census, Uknown Township, Camden Co., North Carolina, p. 84, Roll M432_623.
[Indexed as “Ola”.]