Caspar Wistar, of Philadelphia, took out a warrant for four hundred and thirty-four acres of land April 14, 1794, adjoining Samuel Osborne, Peter Osborne and Thomas and Bartholomew Wistar. In the year 1814 Jacob Marks settled upon the tract, but December 1, 1829, bought the whole tract of George Wilson, who, June 1, 1832, conveyed it to his son, Luke Marks, who is now living upon it at the age of eighty-two years. It is now in part owned by Christian Knouse and E. G. Schaeffer, but the greater part still by Luke Marks. His son Joseph lives adjoining, on part of the Samuel Osborne tract. The Thomas and Bartholomew Wistar tract lay to the west of the Luke Marks land.
The Samuel and Peter Osborne tracts lay to the eastward of the Caspar Wistar tract, and, with other tracts they warranted, embraced about two thousand acres, and were partly in what is now Snyder County. It came to the possession of Peter Osborne, and was known as the Osborne Survey, and was uncultivated and wild land. On the 8th of November, 1845, Joseph Osborne, a son of Peter, sold seventeen hundred and fifty acres of it to Richard Strode, who, in January, 1849, sold it to Jesse Dickey and Dr. R. B. Dilworth, of Chester County, who at once erected a large saw-mill on Mahantango Creek, and began an extensive lumber business. Dickey soon after returned, and Dr. Dilworth conducted the business until his death, a few years later. The property was sold out about 1859, in smaller tracts, and passed into the hands of many owners. In 1877, S. Snyder, J. Barges, M. Minich Zandt and others had saw-mills on the tract which embraced the lower part of Quaker Valley.