I wonder if you might have access to any information re: Horatio Peddycord's wife, Jane?? My great grandmother, Druzella Maud Peddicord Bledsoe told me that her father (John Henry Peddycord/Pedycord/Peddicord/Petticord/Petycord) always said that his mother was North Carolina Cherokee. Since this was at the time of the Indian removals it would have been consistent for no surname to have been recorded, especially since she and Horatio were married in 1835 or 38!
Nannie (Druzella Maud) was the oldest daughter and worked in the fields with her father. He was proud of his mother, but Nannie's husband, Harvey Bledsoe would get angry with her when she talked about her Cherokee grandmother. I was raised with her
and she was always telling family stories.
Horatio and Jane were Moravian and are buried in a Moravian cemetery near Salem. Sources are: Death Notices from the Peoples' Press (Salem, NC) 1851-1892, Compiled and Edited by Robert M. Topkins and Published by the Forsyth County Genealogical Society and Records of the Moravians in North Carolina, 11 volumes; Publications of the North Carolina Historical Commission.
1. HORATIO HAMILTON PEDDYCORD was born February 21, 1811, in Winston,
Forsyth, NC, and died December 07, 1882, in Winston, Forsyth, NC. He married
JANE (UNKNOWN). She was born September 30, 1810, in Winston, Forsyth, NC ?,
and died March 18, 1891, in Winston, Forsyth, NC?.
Their son, John Henry Peddycord married Mellissa Bruner on 16 June, 1877 in Hope, Indiana. He was born in Salem and moved to Hope. My ggrandmother, Druzella Maud Peddicord Bledsoe was their first child. It is likely that one of Millissa Bruner's cousins, named Rominger, might have moved from the Winston Salem area at @ the same time. Does your family have any records or stories about Jane?
73. HORATIO HAMILTON6 PEDDYCORD (WILLIAM 5 PEDDICOART, WILLIAM BARTON 4, NATHAN 3, JOHN 2 PEDDICOURT, WILLIAM 1 PEDDICOURTE) was born 21 February 1811 in Forsyth County, NC135, and died 7 December 1882 in Forsyth County, NC136. He married JANE UNKNOWN Abt. 1835 in North Carolina.
Notes for HORATIO HAMILTON PEDDYCORD:
Appears on Unpaid Tax List for the year 1858 with 30 acres valued at $300, back taxes due $1.80.
Living in Winston Township, Forsyth County, NC, in 1880 census.
More About HORATIO HAMILTON PEDDYCORD:
Fact 6: Farmer
Children of HORATIO PEDDYCORD and JANE UNKNOWN are:
125. i. ELIZABETH (LIZZIE)7 PEDDYCORD, b. 15 June 1837, Forsyth County, NC; d. 17 June 1923, Forsyth County, NC.
ii. LUCY PEDDYCORD, b. Abt. 1839, Stokes County, NC; m. JACOB H. IDOL, 21 April 1862, Forsyth County, NC137.
iii. LISSETTA PEDDYCORD, b. Abt. 1841, Stokes County, NC.
iv. WILLIAM PEDDYCORD, b. Abt. 1845, Stokes County, NC.
126. v. ANNA PEDDYCORD, b. 13 January 1847, Forsyth County, NC; d. 5 August 1924, Forsyth County, NC.
127. vi. ANTOINETTE PEDDYCORD, b. 18 April 1849, Forsyth County, NC; d. 13 March 1902, Forsyth County, NC.
vii. EMILY PEDDYCORD, b. Abt. 1853, Forsyth County, NC; d. Missouri; m. WILLIAM RILEY WILLIARD, Abt. 1871, North Carolina.
viii. JOHN PEDDYCORD, b. Abt. 1854, Forsyth County, NC.
ix. ELIAS C. PEDDYCORD, b. Abt. 1855, Forsyth County, NC.
x. ANN PEDDYCORD, b. Abt. 1858, Forsyth County, NC.
128. xi. MARY A. PEDDYCORD, b. 27 August 1860, Forsyth County, NC; d. 26 March 1910, Forsyth County, NC.
xii. SUSAN PEDDYCORD, b. Abt. 1862, Forsyth County, NC.