=========================================================== SOURCE: A biographical cyclopedia and portrait gallery of distinguished men : with an historical sketch, of the state of Ohio (1880) ===========================================================
JOSEPH PERKINS, capitalist, was born in Warren, Trumbull county, Ohio, July 5th, 1819, and living June, 1880, at Cleveland, Ohio. He was the son of Simon Perkins, a portrait and sketch of whom appear elsewhere in this work. He was educated at Marietta College, Ohio, where he graduated at the age of twenty years. On leaving college he entered his father's office, and after his father's death was concerned in the settlement of the estate until 1852, when he removed to Cleveland, and at once identified himself with the business projects and enterprises of the city. At the organization of the Bank of Commerce, he was elected president, and retained the position until the reorganization of that institution as the Second National Bank, when he was again elected president, and held the office until he resigned in 1872. He was actively interested in the affairs of Cleveland and Mahoning Railroad, which he owns its existence mainly to his brother Jacob Perkins; became a director, and on the death of Governor Tod, was chosen president, a position which he retained until the road was transferred by sale to the Atlantic and Great Western Railway Company. He was also for many years closely identified with the management of the Society for Savings, of Cleveland, and as chairman of the building committee of the National Bank building, was the first to propose and secure the erection of the first fire-proof buildings in Cleveland. He served as trustee of the Western Reserve College, at Hudson, for twenty years, taking a prominent part in the management of its affairs. As a member of the board of State charities he contributed greatly to its efficiency by the thoroughness with which the work of investigating the condition of the prisons and charitable institutions of the Sate was performed. He devised and urged the adoption of the new and improved methods of construction, which were gradually introduced. The Woman's Retreat was deeply indebted to his energy and liberality for its existence and success. Among the enterprises of a public character with which he was identified, the Lake View Cemetery was not the least important. This cemetery, one of the finest in the State, bears testimony in its beauty and variety to his taste and judgment, which were displayed in the plans for laying out the grounds. He has for forty years been connected with the Presbyterian church, in which he has been an active and influential worker, taking a deep interest in Sabbath--school work, and for many years was a superintendent. In all religious, benevolent and moral enterprises he takes a strong and generally very active interest. He has very positive convictions on the subject of temperance, and manifested his sympathies during the crusade of 1874 by acting as chairman of the committee under whose council the crusade against the liquor traffic was undertaken and conducted. During the war of Secession he contributed liberally to the support of the national cause. On Oct. 19th, 1844, he married Miss Martha E. Steele, of Marietta, Ohio. -------------------------------------------------------
The source of where this information was obtained from, is listed at the top of this posting.