My ggg-grandfather was Heinrich Wilhelm Precht, born 3 June 1809 in Gross Eilstorf, Rethen, Hannover, Germany.In about 1845 he came to the Chicago area (Addison, IL), where his family farmed and where he taught music.I recall my grandmother telling me that he brought the very first piano to Chicago and was part of the early history of Concordia University, a Lutheran liberal arts school started in 1864.Any genes related to musical talent were well-diluted by the time they got to me.
Wilhelm died 22 June 1888 and is probably buried at the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bensenville, IL (his death is recorded there, but very few stones remain from that time period).
Wilhelm married Sophia Ehlers, daughter of Friedrich Heinrich Ehlers & Sophie Magdalene Ahlen.Sophia was born 18 Feb 1820, also near Hannover.She died 27 Dec 1867, and is probably buried with her husband.
Wilhelm and Sophia had 9 children:
1. Lorilla (Dora) Precht, b. c1843 in Germany, m. (Unknown) Schneider, children Rueben & Dora
2. Fredrick Precht, b. c1844 in Germany
3. Eduard D. Precht, b. c1847 in IL, m. Carolina Feurhagen
4. Louis Precht, b. c1849 in IL
5. Emeline Precht, b. c1852 in IL, m. (Unknown) Diesner, children Lydia, Martha, Dora, Herman, & Herbert
6. Dorthea Precht, b. c1856 in IL, m. (Unknown) Hunsiker
7. Martha Mary Precht (my gg-grandmother), b. 10 Sep 1859 in IL, d. 18 Sep 1959 in IL, m. Wilhelm Heinrich Franz Rode, children Friedrich Ernst Wilhelm Rode, Malinda Auguste Karoline Louise Rode, Mathilda Margaretha Friedricka Dorothea Rode, Alma Clara Marie Johanna Rode, Amanda Margaret Rode (my g-grandmother), and Franklin Friedrich Ernst Rode.
8. Bertha Precht, b. c1862 in IL, m. Heinrich Block, son Louis (died young)
9. Clara Precht, b. c1864 in IL, m. (Unknown) Soehlbrand
I would be interested in hearing if anyone could contribute any additional information on this family and their ancestry.