I have Joseph Rexford born 1763 in Sharon, CT and died 1836 in Sharon.
He served in the Revolutionary War.
The Rexfords came from Sharon, Connecticut.The obituary of John S. Medlar said the Rexford family was of English Puritan stock.
Both Joseph Rexford b. 11 June 1732 and his son Joseph b. 1763 served in the Revolution.In the book, NEW YORK IN THE REVOLUTION by James A. Roberts, 1898, p91 is listed among the Enlisted Men in THE LEVIES — (Willett), Joseph Rexford, Joseph Rexford, Jr. and Ensign Rexford.In the National Archives in Revolutionary Index, microfilm T-515, Roll 45, Joseph Rexford is shown as serving in Van Ness's N.Y. Regiment and as a private in Willett's N.Y. Regiment.In the book, INDEX OF REVOLUTIONARY PENSION APPLICATIONS p959 is listed Joseph Rexford (Rixford) W5708, N.Y. wife Anna.(No more information about application).Ensign Rexford is listed on p903 of same book — Ensign Rexford, Cont. Mass. Annis Wl8799; BLWt. 6123-160-55.The application shows that Ensign Rexford enlisted at New Concord, Columbia Co., N.Y. in 178l and was discharged 30 June 1784.He married Annis Bobbitt 27 Dec. 1786 in Warrensbush, Albany Co.,N.Y. at the home of Elkannah Bobbitt.He received pension 9 Apr. 1818.He died 5 June 1836 and his widow, Annis Rexford, received pension 7 July 1838.She stated 14 June 1843 that she was 74 years old, living in Otsego, Otsego Co., N,Y.,that they had son, Sylvester, b. 24 Febr. 1788 in Warrensbush, N.Y.
Joseph Rexford b. 1763 at Sharon, Ct. was in Rensselaerwick Township, Albany Co.,N.Y. in 1790 Census with 1 male over 16, 2 males under l6 and 2 females.He and wife Anna (Martin ?) were in Thompson Township of Sullivan Co., N.Y. in 1810 Census. M252, Roll 30 p588 lists Joseph Rexford with the following family: 2 males under 10 years, 1 male 45 4 over, 2 females under 10 years and 1 female 26-45 years.His neighbors were: Martin Rexford, his son, with 1 male 16-26 years, and 1 female 16-26 years; and Abner Seeley with 2 males under 10, 1 male 16-26, 1 male 26-45, 2 females under 10, 2 females 10-16 and 1 female 26-45.Another neighbor was David Kniffen with 1 male under 10, 2 males 10-16, 1 male 16-26, 1 male 45 & over, 1 female 10-16, 1 female 16-26 and 1 female 45 & over.It is believed that Martin Rexford married a daughter of David Kniffen.Joseph and Martin Rexford were not found in the 1820 census and must have been dead.
Henry Joseph Rexford, son of Martin Rexford, was born 11 Feb. 1814, Thompson Township, Sullivan County, N.Y. and died 14 Febr. 1891 at Centerville Station, Fallsburg, Sullivan Co.,
N.Y.He married c1838 Hannah Seeley b. Sept. 1821, daughter of Oliver Seeley and Harriet Medlar.Oliver Seeley was the son of Abner Seeley and Eunice Smith.The children of Henry Joseph Rexford and Hannah Seeley were all born at Centerville Station, Fallsburgh Township, Sullivan Co., N.Y. and were:
1. Harriet A. Rexford b. 1839 married Charles Penny 1858 and the family later moved to Hutchison, Kansas.Their only known children from census records were:
(a) Joseph H. Penny b. cl859
(b) Horace Penny b. cl868
(c) Mandia M. Penny b. cl870
2. Alpha (Allie) Rexford b. Sept. 1841 married about 1870 Andrew Kniffen. Their sons:
(a) Ira Kniffen b. Feb. 1873 married Jessie _____ , born Dec. 1877. Their children :
(1) Edna Kniffen b. Jan. 1895
(2) Frederick Kniffen b. Jan. 1897
These were taken from 1900 census so may be others
3. Mary B. Rexford b. 1843 married after 1870 census ____ Bedford of Liberty, Sullivan County, N.Y.
4. Caroline, "Carrie", Belle Rexford b. 12 April 1845, d. 5 Dec. 1898 married 1869 Oscar William Farrington.Their ten children are listed later under Farrington.
5. Horace M. Rexford b. Mar. 1847 married Electa (Kniffin ?) about 1870.Their known children were:
(a) Henry J. Rexford b. cl87l
(b) Susia G. Rexford b. 1877; married Frank Merritt
6. Ellen Jane Rexford b. 1852. No record after 1870.
7. Elnora Antonette Rexford b. Febr. 1856 married cl883 Harvey Warren.Their known children were:
(a) Seth H. Warren b. Oct. 1884
(b) Gerty Warren b. Febr. 1890 (daughter)
8. Laura Rexford b. 1858 married Henry B. Stanton cl879; They had one daughter in 1880 census. No more records.
(a) Georgia W. Stanton b. cl880 (7/12 in 1880 census)
9. Ida Louise Rexford b. June i860; married about 1879 Graham Merritt.Their known children were:
(a) Grace Merritt b. Sept. 1860.
(b) Frank Merritt b. Mar. 1883.
10.Louella Rexford b. Sept. 1862 was unmarried.
References for these Rexford records were the following :
REXFORD GENEALOGY by John DeWitt Rexford 1891
NEW YORK IN THE REVOLUTION by James A. Roberts 1898, p91
INDEX OF REVOLUTIONARY WAR PENSIONS pp903,959
NATIONAL ARCHIVES REVOLUTIONARY INDEX, Microfilm T515,Roll45
LeDESPENCER QUARTERLY, Vol. 6, # 3, July 1983, p69
US CENSUS RECORDS
DAR PATRIOTS INDEX Vol. I,
FAMILY RECORDS and OBITUARIES
ANNA FARRINGTON BISHOP